DIY branch curtain rods

November 15, 2011 by Lauren

My awesome Grandma said she would make curtains for our shop. She just needed the dimensions of our curtain rods. ...What curtain rods?! I began looking online for "normal" diameters of curtain rods. I accidentally clicked on images in google and was SO thrilled I did! A picture came up with an awesome branch instead of an actual curtain rod. I wanted them.

So that’s what we did. I sent Josiah into one of the many forests here in Austin (ok, I went too, it was fun). We only picked up branches that had naturally fallen and weren’t moldy. We came back with 8ish awesome branches a little longer than 4 feet each. We picked our 3 favorites and Josiah hung them up for us. Now we have awesome branch curtain rods!

(2 of our windows with awesome branches)

1. Hilary says:

Crap! I love this idea too! I need to find a forest to wander around in, stat.

2. Menka says:

How did you hang the branches up? Thanks

3. suzanne says:

How great is this. No more shopping
    Target or Walmart and paying through the nose.
    Mother nature does provide. Thanks

4. Suzanna says:

Beautiful! I used a branch for hanging my scarves at one point, but I never considered curtains!

5. Suzanna says:

(How are they attached to the wall?)

6. Heather says:

Would LOVE to know what you used to hang them!

7. Ruth McFarland says:

I like this idea! How do you hang them up?

8. laura says:

I don’t know if i could find a cool looking branch…

Ok. Get ready for a confusing explanation:
    There’s a lot of different ways to hang them… the easiest would be to drill a long screw through the branch and into the wall (at both ends). Make sure you drill into a stud or use an anchor. Or you can hang the branches like you would a picture frame – attach d-rings to the branch on either end, then hang those on screws/nails in the wall. This method is good if you want to take down the branch since it’s not permanent.
    What we did: We drilled a screw in the wall. Then we wrapped twine around that. With that same twine, we wrapped the twine around the branch. Josiah says “I didn’t know what I was doing then… I kinda jerry-rigged it. If I did it over again, I’d use the d-ring method”

Hope all that helps!

10. Joan says:

How did you get them straight at the bottom hemline?

Joan – Our curtains were tie on ones, as you can sorta see in the photos. We were able to tie some tighter and some looser so it was moderately straight :)

12. […] The Burlap Bag – High Quality Handmade Goods Shop – Austin Texas EVERYONE comments on them in the shop and loves them! My favorite part? FREE, handmade, and DIY! (2 of our windows with awesome branches) […]

13. Crystelle says:

super cute! Looks nice!

14. Dana says:

Love it

15. DSA says:

The d-ring idea wouldn’t work, as far as I can tell, because the D-ring has to be at 90 degrees to work in this scenario. A picture frame D ring hangs flat (the ring hangs straight down from where the screw goes in). You would need a 90 degree D ring but those are only available thru Scuba supply companies for divers to attach to their belts. So you can’t put a screw into the 90 degree D rings. I don’t know how you would get this to work!! HELP!! (I won’t do it if I have to jerry rig it with twine and screws!)

16. Jennifer says:

I Love this!! My son’s room and bathroom are in camo and this would look so good with that! Thanks so much for the idea!!

DSA – d-rings will work, we’ve used them to hang up other branches in the shop. We used d-rings like this… http://www.seattlefabrics.com/Mounted%20D-Ring.jpg and screwed them into the branch. then we hung the hooky part onto another nail/screw that is in the wall. hope that helps!

18. Heather says:

lOVE THIS IDEA IT IS SOOO CUTE! I cant stand the cost of curtain rods or window treatments! Cant wait to go looking in the woods! Thanks! :-)

19. Rumor Clark says:

did you use a handmade curtain or did you purchase this at a store?

Rumor Clark – the curtain was handmade by my grandmother :)

21. Stacey says:

Love this idea! I’m doing a beach theme throughout my place and I’d love to find a long enough piece of driftwood to do this with!

22. Ann MacNeil says:

you’ve just given me a free curtain rod for my daughter’s closet. tinkerbell/faerie themed room, so a branch is PERFECT

23. Rachel Sparling says:

I had already decided to do this. I have a sunroom with woods out back. I am going to hang the branches on store bought holders that rods fit into,that way if I decide to use rods later I’m all set.

24. Susan says:

I did thus 12 years ago in my sons room with cane fishing poles that were my father-inlaws. I just bought curtain rod holders since we just built the house and if I wanted to change window treatments later. I think iron rod holders would be great Aldo.

25. Kelly Hylton says:

Do the branches rot at all?

26. […] Excited about these DIY Branch Curtain Rods, b/c they’re exactly what I was planning to make for the living room! [via The Burlap […]

27. Donna says:

I’ve hung up all my quilts on branches. I use curtain rings to hang on the branches which are then snapped on
    to the quilt.
    Everyone thought I was bonkers. But I love the look.
    I hang the branch centered on a hook usually with two or three prongs. (like a coat hook, crafty country stores have them)

28. Mo says:

I saw branches used as curtain rods over 22 years ago at an open house of a dear friend. I went ga-ga over them. However, she didn’t use long curtains. She wrapped tulle in large sweeps around the branches above the windows as a valance. It was so simple but yet, so absolutely elegant!

29. missy says:

Love it….free…rustic…and shabby chic….plus u get to spend the afternoon w/nature

30. Monica says:

I have a branch for a curtain rod in my dining room. I saw a kid playing with it at a local park. It was so beautiful! (the branch!) Wavy-ly straight, tan, with an almost sanded look. My father-in-law was with me, so I commented what a nice looking branch that was and that I had been wanting one for a curtain rod for a while.

As we get ready to leave, he hands me the branch. My FIL, not the kid. He went to the boy and offered to pay him $5 for the branch. O.O I guess it worked well for the both of us. :D

It draws a lot of attention. I have had people ask me where I bought it. Yeah, it’s that pretty looking, they don’t believe me I got it from the park… well, almost. :)

I want to use one for stockings now but I don’t know how to hang it. The one in the dinning room rests on curtain brackets but I think those would be overwhelming over the fire place. I’m going with your twine method for this one.

31. Debbie says:

I remember this was probably the first post I saw from you and I loved it. I hope to someday be someplace where I can do this. Right now my cats would have a hay day with curtains hanging on a stick….if you know what I mean. Thank you so much for sharing.

32. Heather says:

I was lead here by Pinterest and gotta say: you are awesome! When I first looked at this photo I thought, what kind of Mr. Rodgers wanna be has four pairs of the same shoes?! Haha… then I read you have your own shop- so I guess those are for sale lol. I am 25 years old and I am still catching myself looking at pictures before reading. I guess we never grow out of that, huh? Lol.

Thanks for all the tips- I am in the middle of trying the baking of the eggs instead of boiling them. My husband eats eggs literally every single day for his protein requirements. I am using my cake pop pan instead of a mini muffin pan. It hugs them even more and has little holes, which I hope will actually dry the yolks more instead of the creaminess you guys are enjoying. He takes the yolks out since he eats so many and having them drier is easier for removing them. I hope it won’t over dry them though and make the shells harder to get off. Only 24 minutes left til I’ll know, though!

33. Eileen says:

I used this idea about 4 years ago when my plum tree died. They are the neatest rods and plum trees have a dark red tone to the branch. I also sprayed them w clean shellac ! My favorite window treatments!

34. Caroline says:

Can’t wait to try this at the cottage! We have LOTS of branches … a forest full! Thanks for the idea!

35. Kayt says:

How did you keep the bugs out? We brought in some cute branches and made fairy houses out of them, and weeks later *gasp* icky bugs started hatching out of the bark! I didn’t see it when we brought it in. I took the wood and baked it in the oven, but not sure if these awesome branches would fit.

36. Martha Judge says:

I’m going to try this on the wall behind my bed (I don’t have a headboard)

37. Christine says:

Thank you for this crafty idea. Now I just need to find a forest…

38. Beanie says:

I am excited that I found you. I live in Austin too! I just signed up for your emails. Thanks

39. Jade Edwards says:

I actually did this for my art/craft room and they turned out great! I love them!!!

40. Nancy says:

I love it. I made bedroom curtains with branches and got 2 branches with a V at the end and used those to hold up the other branch. I have a forest behind my house if anyone wants to come and pick up a branch or 2

41. […] curtain rods  (tutorial here) – This curtain rod is so fun to look at! Check out the natural bend and curve of the branch. […]

42. […] rods which you can sort of see in the picture! We’ve definitely got a nature theme going on. Tutorial here for the branch curtain […]

43. Kim says:

Man, I can’t even express how excited I am over this!! We are expecting our first baby in Feb and I wanted to make curtains for her beach themed room. I have a piece of driftwood that I had picked up months ago and no idea what I was going to use it for. Now I know!!! It exactly 4″ wider than the window, so it should be perfect!

Do you happen to have a tutorial on how to make the tie-up curtains? I’m sure I can figure it out, but thought I’d ask :)

44. […] Rainbow cake  / 2# Hanging photo display  /  3# Erasable board  /  4# Crochet bunny / 5# Curtain rods  / 6# Your own font  /  7# Galaxy scarf  /  8# Polaroid photo frame  / 9# Bird mobile / […]

45. […] rods which you can sort of see in the picture! We’ve definitely got a nature theme going on. Tutorial here for the branch curtain […]

46. Kristin says:

I used a branch on the outside (public) hall window in our condo 10 years ago on a whim. I might change the curtains, but I won’t change the branch because it’s so much more interesting than any “actual” rod.

47. I love this idea of using the tree branch artistically. These are looking like the actual curtain rods. Thanks for sharing,