DIY – Making a gallon of liquid soap for $4

Things I love:

Saving money
Yummy smelling things
EASY projects

This DIY project was perfect for me! I took 2 bars of soap and made them turn into more than a gallon of liquid soap! So awesome. The two bars of soap were $2.99 together and the glycerin was $1.19.

What you need:

A grater
2 bars of soap (I used pomogranite rose… so good!)
2 tablespoons glycerin (get it in the medical aisle. weird, I know! here’s some online)
1 gallon water
A big ole pot

What to do:

1. Grate all the soap
2. Put all “ingredients” in the pot. (2 bars grated soap, 2 tablespoons glycerin, 1 gallon water)
3. Put stove on medium until all the soap is dissolved
4. Turn off stove and let it be for 10-12 hours. After a couple of hours it will harden a bit and turn cloudy
5. Pour it into an empty milk carton, an old “refill” soap container, reusable soap dispensers, a beer growler (WHO would do that?! Oh right, we did.)

All soaps are made differently – if yours is too runny, remelt with more grated soap. If it’s too hard, add more water.

And you’re done! Super fast and now you’ll have soap forever. Enjoy your soap!

2018-06-23T13:46:13+00:00

1. Greta March 20, 2013 at 2:29 pm

THIS IS SUPPER COOL I WILL NEED TO TRY IT THANKS :)

2. Kelly Vandivier May 22, 2013 at 1:36 pm

lovely tutorial, definitely going to have to try!

3. lucia June 24, 2013 at 9:03 am

I have made this twice and it has comes out witht his goopy texture and it does not really foam when you use it. Any ideas how to make is smoother and more foamy

4. barb June 24, 2013 at 9:36 am

Is this recipe for hand soap or body wash? Or, both? I noticed one person’s recipe said to use dish soap – I can’t imagine using dish soap on my body. Just wondering. I’m interested in alternatives and want to learn. Thanks!

5. marian fisher July 9, 2013 at 8:17 am

Can u use this in your l.g washing machine (front loader)

6. […] found this recipe http://www.theburlapbag.com/2011/11/diy-making-a-gallon-of-liquid-soap-for-4/  on pinterest to make a gallon of liquid soap out of your favorite bar soap. This will save you a […]

7. Whitney October 3, 2013 at 7:14 pm

This is AMAZING! So excited to try this!

8. Top 10 Best DIY Liquid Soaps - Top Inspired October 14, 2013 at 9:35 am

[…] DIY project and photo credit to  theburlapbag.com […]

9. […] Fun gift to make for everyone. Find the instructions at The Burlap Bag […]

10. Valerie November 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Added this to a blog post I wrote and cited you: http://longtermcarelink.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/easy-and-inexpensive-christmas-gifts/ Thank you for blogging some great crafts!

11. Carol December 11, 2013 at 9:16 pm

I use the same recipe basically, but I always boil my water first to remove bacteria and other nasties in tap water. The soap disolves more quicky too. I have used the off brand at K Mart for the Dove unscented, and it came out fantastic! Now I can add EO to individual bottles, and have total control over scent and ingredients. I have also had good luck using Kirk’s Castile, but it took 2 days to thinken up! Worth the wait tho! Thanks for posting this!

12. Amanda April 18, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Do I cover the pot while it is “sitting”?

13. Summer March 29, 2015 at 8:33 am

CINDY!!! Guys, Cindy is a genius. My family and guests complained about my watery, stringy, homemade liquid soap, but Cindy’s idea about a bar of Dove and 2 cups of water is PERFECT. I got a lot of Dove bar soap on sale once, and now I can make hand soap everyone loves for only 5c per ounce. This is much more expensive than the glycerin recipe, but for something homemade to work in my house, it actually has to function as a good replacement for its store-bought counterpart. You don’t even need to let it sit for hours before pouring the luxurious creamy soap into soap dispensers. Bravo, Cindy, for a savings experiment my whole family will thank me for!