DIY room air freshener

(Check out our new ONLINE SHOP for The Burlap Bag!!)

We have two cats. They get stanky. And I refused to buy air fresheners. It turns out I already had everything I needed for a homemade and EASY air freshener! No more stank in our house.

What you need:

A container (we used these)
Baking soda
Essential oil
Foil (or a lid you want to ruin and poke holes in)

This gets really complicated so pay attention….

1. Pour baking soda into container, about 1/4 full. Pour in 8ish drops of essential oils.

Oh. That’s it. Just the one step.

Well, add a lid if you want. You could nail holes into a mason jar lid but I didn’t want to ruin one. I just covered it with foil and poked some holes. No one will see mine (it’s high up on a shelf) so it didn’t need to have a pretty lid. But make yours as pretty as you want.

Seriously the easiest thing I’ve ever done. Every once in awhile, go shake it so everything mixes and freshens the stinky smells.

Done.

Follow us for instagram for updates! instagram.com/theburlapbag

(p.s. we’ve had a lot of people email us asking where to get those jars! here here!)

2018-06-23T13:42:45+00:00

1. Bom aroma | Good aroma May 24, 2014 at 6:55 am

[…] pouco tempo vi no site The Burlap Bag uma receita muito simples para um tirar os maus cheiros da casa. É só necessário […]

2. Diana June 1, 2014 at 7:50 pm

You can buy a variety of essential oils at glorybee.com

3. Katrina June 13, 2014 at 11:41 am

You can just add more essential oil every few days.

4. Julie Brannon July 8, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I found a glass grated cheese container (lid already has holes in it) at the Dollar Tree for $1.00

5. Simple DIY Air Fresheners! | Nettafied July 21, 2014 at 1:25 pm

[…] week I decided to make my own air fresheners! I got this great idea from a Pinterest post by theburlapbag.com.  It’s a pretty simple tutorial. I got tired of buying extensive air fresheners and candles. […]

6. Jennifer July 27, 2014 at 9:19 am

You can get essential oils at arts and craft stores. I know Michaels and A.C. Moore have % off coupons almost every week.

7. Cynthia August 10, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Did anyone suggest using a piece of cloth with the canning jar?

8. best homemade air freshener August 10, 2014 at 2:19 pm

There are some awesome ideas here!

Nice info. I have been looking for

9. Bonita September 1, 2014 at 11:01 pm

FYI the top of the Parmesan Cheese shaker fits on a regular mason jar top.
    Baking soda IS Bicarbonate of Soda;
    Baking powder is not the same thing;
    juices or vanilla extracts don’t contain any oils so the evaporation rate is much higher, and would dissolve the baking soda.
    Another hint – pour some vinegar into a jar and place it in a hidden place. The vinegar scent will dissipate and leave your room smelling fresh. Especially good when you have cooked fish. Also wash out your cooking pan with vinegar after fish and it will be nice and fresh.
    Thanks for this tip – I am going to make this tonight!

10. Maswida Mustafa September 9, 2014 at 10:05 pm

This is really usefull for me as am seem allergic with chemically fragrant which keep me headache..thanks

11. Peggy Reynolds September 10, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I’ve just done this, I used peppermint oil as spiders don’t like the smell of peppermint, so fingers crossed it works!

12. Suz October 23, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Great idea, just wondering if this could be used in the car? Maybe mixing it and putting the mixture in a cloth bag to throw under the seat?

13. Amber October 30, 2014 at 12:51 pm

What can i use that i may have in my kitchen instead of the essential oils

14. […] Tutorial via theburlapbag.com […]

15. Joyce Williams November 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm

Thank you for this. Since I have several oils,I am going to do this quickly and place it around the house. Time saving things are really for me. Rosemary enhances brain function.

If you are troubled with fruit flies, here is a very effective and simple solution;is iw
    I place about 1 oz. of red wine vinegar/ACV or other vinegar (not the cheap white one) in a small jar/bowl and add one drop of dish soap (other soaps may work). Apparently the soap is said to break the surface tension of the water. Cover this with plastic film, secure it with an elastic band and poke holes in it.

(We eat lots of fruit.)

You can strain or spoon out the flies, if you want to, and re-use the m. mixture.

Subscribe for news, discount codes on our silly candles and other fascinating info.