Homemade laundry detergent – for $3!

December 6, 2011 by Lauren

This easy DIY recipe will make you enough laundry detergent for 64 loads of laundry! And costs $3. And is done in 5 minutes.
Yes. That's insane. Insanely awesome.

Ingredients:
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda
1 bar of soap

(yes, a whole box of borax and washing soda costs more. but you only need one cup of each! split it with 4 friends.)

Ok, ready? Gather your  ingredients and tools. (you’ll need a grater, bowl, stirring spoon, and one cup measure-er)

Get ready for the super hard 4 steps:
1. Grate bar of soap into a bowl

2. Pour in one cup of borax

3. Pour in one cup of washing soda

4. Mix for a couple of minutes until all the grated soap breaks up and the mixture looks like regular dry laundry detergentSteps altogether for homemade laundry detergent:
1. Grate bar of soap into a bowl
2. Pour in one cup of borax
3. Pour in one cup of washing soda
And that’s it. It’s so easy. Now I feel kinda dumb that I have been buying expensive laundry detergent this long! Oh well. Start saving money now!

I keep mine in an IKEA tupperware. I use one tablespoon per load, maybe 1.5 for huge or extra dirty ones.

And instead of buying fabric softener? Use vinegar. So cheap and it acts as a fabric softener AND a static cling reducer! What! Why am I just now learning all of this….

OR you could keep it in a cute bowl like this! Not as practical though :)

1. Kim says:

So now that you have had a chance to use it, how does it work? Is your laundry just as clean and smell good? Cant wait to hear and thank you bunches for posting! PS Do you know if it’s ok to use in high efficancy washers?

2. Catherine says:

Would this be suitable for front loading automatics which require low suds powders?

3. Catherine says:

Would this be suitable for front loading automatics which require low foaming powders?

4. Nichole says:

Ive made my own laundry soap now for about a year. SOOOOOO much cheaper. Clothes seem to last longer, and the kids skin looks better!

Kim, I LOVE this detergent still! We’ve now been using it for 3 months and haven’t had any problems. Laundry still smells great! I personally don’t have a high efficiency washer but I hear it works the same…

6. Hilary says:

I love this tip! Random question about the fabric softener/vinegar bit near the end… Does it make your clothes smell vinegary?

Hilary it totally doesn’t! All the vinegar washes out and you just smell lovely clean clothes!

8. janice vance says:

Didn’t hear anything about front loaders.

Hey Janice, I think it would work but I don’t know for sure… sorry! Mine’s a top loading

10. Hilary says:

Thanks, Lauren, that’s really good to know!

11. Audra says:

Janice – I have heard from HE owners and this recipe works great because it’s low sudsing. They have also added 1 cup of Oxyclean to the mix.

12. joan says:

FWIW, this is not a detergent, but a soap. Big difference.

13. melanie says:

lauren, what would you think of adding fragrance? does the smell of the bar soap determine the clean smelling clothes? ohhhh boy i can’t wait to try this. what an awesome way to save money–just like all those diy home cleaners! :)

Melanie… I just ran to the drier to check out the smell of my clothes. And didn’t smell much of any scent other than clean! Ha. This might be because we’ve been using it for awhile and my nose is use to the smell. That always happened to me when I was little – I went to friends’ houses and raved about how their clothes smelled! And thought mine didn’t smell like anything…. but I was just use to the smell. So…. couldn’t tell ya honestly.

15. Lynne says:

How much vinegar would you put in the rinse compartment of your washer?

16. Whitney says:

I’ve used a similar recipe for over a year and a half now. I use a 45cc measure for an average load (that’s about an ounce and a half) but I’ll double that for above average dirtiness or large loads. I’m using a top-loader currently, but I’m sure it would be fine in an HE front-loader (which I also have in my old house). The recipe I use calls for 1 part each of washing soda and borax, and 2 parts soap flakes. I think the blogged recipe would be safer in a front-loader, then if it is not working as well you could start amping up the soap flakes. I get all three ingredients in bulk at the health food store for even more savings, and mix up two Mason jar-fuls at a time. I’ve got that recipe and more green, cheap cleaning and self-care products at my website above. Thanks for the tip about vinegar being anti-static! I don’t like waxy dryer sheets and they’re really bad for newer dryers with moisture-sensors (they leave a waxy film over the sensor so the machine works longer than necessary).

17. Lucy says:

I’ve used this laundry detergent for several years and wouldn’t go back to store brandbar s. My soap of choice is Fels Naptha…though it’s especially a beast on any blood stains, I don’t like the smell when grating/making the recipe.

But…I do like my DIY fabric softener: 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water, plus enough drops of your favorite essential oil to suit your sense of smell. Put in a fine-mist pump sprayer, spritz 5+ times on wet clothes in the dryer and that’s it. Less mess than vinegar in the rinse compartment, and it lasts for-e-ver! I give 6-ounce bottles as graduation gifts and figure (based on how often collegiates do laundry) it should last all 4 years!

18. what kind of soap? laundry bar soap or just body soap?

19. Betsy says:

To boost the rinsing power use trisodium phosphate (TSP).

I use a tablespoon per load, but you can use up to a quarter cup. TSP was in all laundry detergent before government regulation banned it was a commercial ingredient. It really takes the dingy look out of clothes and helps keep the mildew smell out of your washer and clothes. It’s

You can get TSP at the hardware store. Be careful to not get TSP substitute.

Here is the article I picked this tip up from:

20. Thea says:

I’ve used one batch, now working on making batch 2. I am so happy with this detergent! Loving the money it’s going to save me….

21. Kim L. says:

Stumbled upon this website looking for the directions to make hard cooked eggs in the oven that I saw posted on Facebook the other day when I couldn’t find their post when I went to try it out a few days later. The eggs turned out great. Love the tips on here. Will try the laundry soap and other cleaners. This is a great collection of information. And love all the homemade things. Love the juice recipes. I’m not exactly Susie Homemaker, but who knows. Thanks for the inspiration!

Mine is just body sopa, Erin. Kim, thanks for your sweet comments! :) you can be susie homemaker!

23. Mary G says:

What kind of vinegar should you use? White?

I just use regular white vinegar – the cheap stuff!

25. Missy says:

I use Fels Naptha or Ivory soap. If you put Ivory soap in the microwave for 60 seconds, it will puff up really big until the microwave stops. Then it will immediately deflate. What you are left with is almost flaky. I put the Ivory, washing soda, and borax to mix in a food processor. If there is any part of the Ivory bar left, re-microwave it for fewer seconds. This will take the place of Ivory Snow or Dreft. No scent left behind for either, just clean clothes. Fels Naptha works a little better for husband’s dirty work clothes. You may add fragrance to your soap. One friend uses unsweetened lemonade Kool-aid powder for scent. I bought some today (12 cents a pack at WM) and will mix it in the detergent I already have and try it for my next load. I am thrilled to be able to make my own home cleaners. :)

26. Ashley Stultz says:

Thank you so much for the idea! wish i would have found this 3 days ago! will try this at the beginning of next month though! I am also going to try the pickles out saturday for my sons first birthday party!

Ashley glad you like the idea! :)

28. Anne Marie says:

I finally bought Borax and Washing Soda this week – I can’t wait to make this this weekend! Andddd I also can’t wait to never buy laundry detergent again. So thank you for this great idea! :)

29. Beverly says:

What us Washing Soda and where can I buy it?

30. Beverly says:

That was “What is washing soda and where can I buy it?

31. Beverly says:

Someone commented about this being soap and not detergent. Does this make a difference with anything?

Hi there Beverly – we found washing soda at our local grocery store. Washing soda is sodium carbonate. There’s not TOO much of a difference between soap and detergent and I’m not sure which this is technically classified as… but my clothes are still washing GREAT! :)

33. Bogart says:

I am so love love lovin’ this! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Questions on the vinegar thou . . . how much do you put in? and what part of the wash cycle do you put it in? from the get go or during rinse/spin/etc?

Until next time . . . .

Hi Bogart – I’m glad you love it! It’s so great and our clothes still smell great. I put the vinegar in right at the beginning when I put in all the laundry detergent. I pour for about a second or two… so maybe a tablespoon? Ha. I never measure….

35. Bogart says:

A “sploosh”? A “splash”? Most excellent! This is my favorite method of measuring! :o)
    Thanks again!!!

36. Gstepmom says:

If your clothes have strong odors add a scoop of Baking Soda to each load. Takes out all smells even the smell of cats.

37. Paula says:

I’ve use a liquid version of this recipe with water and essential oils added for my frontloader for over a year without a problem. Also, the vinegar for a fabric softner does wonders for a frontloader….no smells.

38. [...] list of favorite blogs when I spotted that The Burlap Bag (best.blog.name.ever) – posted a “DIY Laundry Detergent” recipe.  (The masterminds of this blog have also shared posts on DIY dishwasher detergent, [...]

39. Kristina Haney says:

Hey Guys, LOVE this recipe! However, I have a few additional ingredients I use in my Laundry Detergent recipe. I’ve been using this method for years: In addition to the ingredients in your recipe (with the ommition of the regular bar soap), I grate a bar of stain fighting bar soap Fels Naptha (you can find this laundry bar soap @ Fry’s aka Kroger $1.79 or Walmart $0.99, in the laundry isle) AND a bar of color brightening bar soap- the pink ZOTE Soap (can be found at 99 cent stores, Home Depot $0.99, and the large Walmart Super Centers $0.99). With the addition of these ingredients you will have whiter whites and brighter brights, I PROMISE your laundry will BLOW YOUR MIND!

40. Karen says:

Just mixed this up using 1/2 bar Nels Naptha, 1/2 bar good smelly soap, 1 c Downy Unstoppables, 1 c washing soda, and 1 cup Borax. Can’t wait to try on my next load!It all fit in a one quart canning jar. Tied a 1 Tablespoon coffee scoop with a ribbon and hung it around the neck. Thank you, Lauren for the recipe and thanks to all the add’l helpful comments.

41. Casey says:

Anyone use this on cloth diapers?

42. Connie says:

I made this and my clothes started to yellow. I mixed in a container of dollar store oxyclean and it solved the problem.

43. Tammy says:

I just made some and used a irish spring bar of soap. I also used my medium size ginny’s catalog food processor to chop and grind it all. It worked great. I think I’m gonna try the dollar store oxyclean container mix as a stop gap for yellowing like Connie suggested. I love the smell! I’m gonna experiment also after this batch is used up on a different brand of soap. Thanks for helping our family save money.

44. Becks says:

I made this, but whenever I washed clothes (I have a front loading washer) it didn’t all get used and there was residue over the clothes…..any suggestions?

45. Zissy says:

When you take your laundry to have it washed for you they have always used vinegar to soften your clothes. As for the laundry soap tutorial it is fantastic and I can’t wait to get busy on it. =)

46. Dine says:

I got the washing soda at the hardware store. I’ll make this up today. Thanks.

47. Sacha says:

The recipe I use doubles the powders, i.e. 2 cups each Borax & washing soda for each bar of Fels Naptha. I then add an equal amount (by volume) of Oxi-Clean and mix it all up. I use 1/4 cup of this mixture in my front-loader with white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment (filled to the max line, probably 1/4 cup or so). Works like a charm.

I agree with another commenter who said the smell of the Fels Naptha is unappealing; to me it smells to soap-y. Thankfully the clothes just smell clean when all is said and done.

I might try adding TSP and/or unsweetened lemonade Kool-Aid powder to my next batch to see how that goes. Thanks for the tips!

48. April says:

I just whipped up a batch today Iused 1 cup of each powder including the Oxyclean abd a bar of Fels Naptha. Does anyone have a problem with this recipe fading darks? Any suggestions to stop this from happening? We washed a new black tshirt with red lettering and it faded some. It could just be the shirt. Not sure.

49. Freda says:

I just finished my first double batch of the detergent and am well pleased. We have well water which yellows the clothes in time and they seem to be brighter now. I will try adding H.E.B. Oxygen Power Bravo Stain Remover (a generic brand to Oxi-Clean) to this next batch and compare the results. Not counting pennies saved, but counting dollars saved. Thanks for sharing!

50. Amanda says:

Hi, I was wondering of I could just use baking soda nstead of washing soda?

51. Wendy says:

Hi, my name is Wendy and I live in New Zealand. I have read your posts about making your own laundry powder and fabric softener with much interest.
    We don’t have Fel’s soap here nor Dawn’s dishwashing liquid so have been forced to improvise.
    I made up my laundry powder using Sunlight pure soap (NZ and Australian brand) it is a pure unperfumed basic soap.
    Grated 400g of soap into 200g Super Soda (strong Washing Soda) and 400g Borax.
    The fabric softener I made up uses 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup water to 2 cups white vinegar. It recommended 10 drops essential oil of my choice, I added a bit much of Damacus Rose when the lid fell off, but the result was a Turkish Delight laundry and lovely smelling towels. No vinegar smell.
    Thanks for the basic information, it may not be saving me money yet but I feel better knowing I have cut the chemical/commerical influence down a few notches.
    As we say here,
    Sweet AS Bro.
    Regards
    Wendy

52. Wendy says:

Update upon my previous post. I dissolve my 1/4 cup of laundry powder in a cup of hot water and add it to the washing machine before I add clothers etc, seems to work better for me than just a staight add as per commerical stuff.

53. Dimitra says:

Amazing information! Question though! My washing machine is for 6kg of clothes. How much of the detergent do I use?

54. dazzleme1202 says:

Smells better if you put Purex Crystals in it. I saw that in another recipe.

55. Sandy says:

Love this site! I will share it with my daughter who is so like minded!

56. [...] Laundry Detergent (original recipe  here) [...]

57. Jaimee says:

Love this! My husband prefers that I use this recipe over Tide, and it has nothing to do with the money!

Also, as far as Vinegar for a fabric softener? I put it in the liquid fabric softener compartment in my washer. If I forget, then I drench a sock in Vinegar and throw it in the dryer with the wet clothes. Works like a charm!

58. Erin Jayne says:

I made up a recipe similar to this today with Ivory, borax, and soda; my clothes smell lovely and they’re cleaner than they have been in a long time – and it’s safe for my sensitive skin and for my cat, who has TONS of allergies. The rabbit doesn’t seem to mind, either!

59. Marisa says:

I put vinegar in a Downy ball and just throw it in with the clothes!

60. KT says:

I was worried that this recipe wouldn’t work in cold water, and that I’d have little bits of un-dissolved soap left all over my clothes. But it works great in any temperature! Been using this laundry soap for the better part of a year now and am just running out of my first batch now. Love it! Thanks for posting this.

61. Breezing Through says:

I followed your directions. my clothing seems to be clean, but i noticed that the pit smell on my sons practice shirt is still there. not as strong, but smells none the less. Have you run into this issue and how did you deal?

62. DS says:

I made and used this and my whites were dirty and dingy looking. Went back to regular laundry soap and they are much cleaner now. I so wanted it to work.

63. Angela says:

I’ve been making my own laundry cleaning solution (detergent/soap/smile) for about 18 months – liquid form. Worked so good I was afraid to try dry blend. Thanks for the recipe!!! Ive been using it for a month now in my top loader. Works great too. I used 1 bar fels, 2 cups borax, 2 cups washing soda and 2 cups baking sod.. It’s possible my boyfriend added some ivory soap when I was processing half the batch. I have sensitive skin… this does not bother me. I also have a special needs child who challenges my cleaning ability with all sorts of substances… sometimes I need to pre-treat oily, tomato or chocolate… all else comes out. No fading and no yellowing. For high static clothes I use half a dryer sheet.

64. Renae says:

I love all the ideas and suggestions! Could I kill two birds with one stone by grating a fabric softener bar instead on the bar of soap. I’m thinking this could cover the fresh scent and softening.

65. Tamara Benison says:

I didn’t have time to read all the comments, but I wanted to clear up something while it is on my mind. I’ve seen on this post and others people wondering if it is safe to use in he machines, and also people saying that it is soap, not detergent. To me, that meant nothing. So, I looked it up. Detergents are better when doing laundry, because the minerals dissolve more easily, whereas soaps can leave behind a residue or film over time. That being said, it seems to be more of a problem when your water is hard, as opposed to soft. I would check your water type. I did live in the country, and a homemade dishwasher soap did leave a residue in my dishwasher, and we used vinegar with each load to help prevent that. Someone here mentioned vinegar as a good softener. That would help both problems.

66. [...] theburlapbag.com claims that laundry soap can be created in less than 5 minutes for around $3. This was certainly tempting. So, I made out my shopping list and hit the grocery store. I was pleasantly surprised to find all of the materials easily. [...]

67. Casi says:

I happened across your DIY Laundry Soap on Pinterest. I used your recipe to make my own and LOVE it! I even posted your recipe on mamacravings. Thank you for opening my world up to making my own laundry soap! :)

68. Shelly Leidig says:

So… I’ve read the instructions, and am very intrigued… I’ve read through the comments, and combined several of the helpful hints with the original recipe. Was really amazed at how easy the process was. Only took a few minutes to make. Used a bar of the Fels Naptha, and a bar of Ivory soap. Used the tip of microwaving the Ivory – that was absolutely amazing! It puffed up so big, and when it deflated, was the perfect powder consistency. As I was stirring it up, though, I couldn’t help but notice the soap particles floating in the air (Ivory). Smelled great, but couldn’t stop sneezing! So, if you do this, I recommend wearing a mask, or something to keep you from breathing in the particles. Otherwise, it was absolutely very easy to do. Got my first load washing now. Anxious to see the results! I just peaked in, and noticed there wasn’t any bubbles in the machine, but I’m washing my husband’s jeans, so that’s a great test for this recipe. Will let you know how it goes! :)

69. Caroline says:

Re: using TSP in laundry … please see the insert below written by a chemist:
    You are confusing TSP with STPP.

TSP is trisodium phosphate and since it produces a nasty precipitate with hard water that can redeposit on clothes, it’s never been a mainstay addition to laundry detergents.

STPP is sodium tripolyphosphate and does not produce a precipitate in hard water, and indeed is the miracle compound that made older laundry and dishwashing detergents that contained it so effective.

You can still get TSP at many hardware stores. It is effective for prepping painted surfaces for repainting (it etches them and give them more “tooth” for a new coat to stick to). I’ve never seen STPP for sale at a hardware store, although it used to be available as the main or active ingredient in laundry “water softeners” like White King or Calgon.

This info was gleened from the comments on the website: http://mises.org/daily/5267/

Also, I have used only vinegar in my rinse cycle forever. (my mother’s trick 50 years ago). It takes any soap residue out of the clothes, keeping the washer (front load HE) smelling fresh as well. Also, I never use a fabric softner … only vinegar.

70. Kristine says:

Cant Wait to try this! I have been using vinegar for fab softner for a few years and it works great by de-greasing your clothes and removing odors. When they come out of the dryer you dont smell the vinegar.

71. Shelly Leidig says:

And the verdict is… LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! I’ve combined the basic recipe with the addition of some other components other readers suggested (Oxiclean, baking soda, Ivory soap [along with Fels-Naptha]). Clothes are so bright, and clean! And, machine doesn’t have that icky mildewed smell! I’m hooked!

Wow great idea! We already have to use hypoallergenic detergents because my boyfriend reacts with certain detergents (he gets all itchy and swollen, yikes!) so this sounds great to avoid all the perfumes, dyes, and expense of standard detergents.

We’ve also been washing his jiu jitsu gi’s (“ghee”) in just vinegar because the fabric fades and wears really easily with store-bought detergent. 2 cups white vinegar in the washer, let the washer fill, add clothes, let soak 20 minutes, then let it run its cycle as normal. So we go through a LOT of vinegar in the house… I’ll have to try this and see if it’s just as safe on the gi’s. Thanks!

73. Nathalie says:

This is a great blog. I have been trying to find the best recipe for laundry, this sounds good but, I know borax is considered as a bleach. It can also be sprayed on weeds or as insecticide. Too much of it isn’t good for soil and water as it can kill micro-organism. Does anyone know how it affects fabrics?

Nathalie –
    So glad you love our blog! Thanks!!
    It’s been more than a year and we are still using this detergent. All my clothes look totally normal :)

75. [...] The Burlap Bag, you&nbspcan find a rapid and easy&nbspstep-by-stage process&nbspfor preparing [...]

76. [...] that. Plus, now that you have borax/washing soda, you can easily make your own laundry detergent! (Or vice versa! If you’ve already made your own laundry detergent, then you already have the [...]

77. Deborah Couture says:

I have been using this detergent since last Fall and I must say that I prefer it over store bought, my clothes seem cleaner and softer and I have not used the vinegar rinse. I use the Fels Naptha bar soap and my recipe I found called for 2 cups of grated soap to the 1 cup of borax and 1 cup of Washing Soda and I added baking soda to the mix too but did not measure. Since I am ready to make my 3rd batch (I made a triple batch after the first one and it has lasted a long time, figured out about 3cents a load and I use 2 tablespoons per load). So glad I came across this on Pinterest

78. Tracy says:

I use cloth diapers and am looking forward to trying this recipe for them, I already do the vinegar as a softener, it works great and gets any leftover diaper stank out. Such fun homemade stuff, looking forward to trying more of it

79. Rita says:

I’ve mixed up a couple batches. One for me with graded Yardley Oatmeal & Almond soap. A double batch for my daughter and her crew of boys with Irish Spring soap.

This is the first time in 6 years that I haven’t been itching from my eczema. Yay!!!

I taped the soap label to the front of the casserole dish I’m using. I’ve also done the math.
    Here in NE, we pay $3.69 for a box of Borax, and $2.24 for a box of A+H Washing Soda, $1.00 for Oxyclean and 25-50 cents per bar of soap. Each batch gives 30 loads and cost $.86 cents to make. Each load cost $.028 to clean.

I’d sure like to hear ideas on other fragrances and soaps that can be used.

80. Rita says:

81. Rita says:

http://pinterest.com/ritawilde/home-made/ I know it looks storebought, but it’s really homemade. I just glued the body bar soap I’m using in the laundry mix.

82. [...] detergent had to be shaken up almost every time, which was none-sense. I have kept making this recipe and have loved the results. I sometimes will add a bar of Fels-Naptha into the mix for tougher [...]

83. Morgan Garrett says:

This is such an amazing recipe :) can’t wait to try it… How natural is Borax?

84. Becky says:

Couldn’t resist commenting. Remember that natural does not automatically mean healthy or safe. Arsenic is natural. That being said the soap sounds great. I’m trying it this weekend.

85. Lorene says:

On July 19, 2012 Paula mentions that she uses a liquid version of your homemade laundry soap. I prefer liquid laundry soap since I do most of my laundry in cold or cool water wash and find that the powder laundry soaps just don’t dissolve completely. Could you please let me know how I could make the liquid version of your homemade laundry soap? Also my husband cannot use Ivory soap as he is allergic to this and is sensitive to various soaps so I usually buy laundry soap for sensitive skin. Thank you for your help as I’d love to save money and try this out.

86. Dawn Treader says:

There is a big difference between “soap” and “detergent”. From what I understand, Fels Naptha is a detergent and not a soap. I too had trouble with greying of whites using soap based homemade laundry cleaner. Hot water helps or use an Oxiclean type product. I sometimes run my whites through a hot water prewash with a little bleach since we use Family Cloths and cloth pads for feminine hygiene.

I like the simplicity of this recipe much better than the one I had been using that made a 2 gal liquid laundry soap of the same ingredients.

87. Judy says:

LOVE YOUR BLOG! Here’s an EASY recipe I found somewhere on-line. (Wish I could remember where I found it!) Anyway, for laundry detergent that is OK to use in “he” machines: Dissolve 3 tablespoons Borax and 3 tablespoons Washing Soda in hot water in a plastic gallon jug. Add 2 tablespoons liquid dishwashing liquid (like Dawn or Palmolive or Joy…whatever you have) and finish filling the jug with water. Use about a cup per load…it’s diluted, ya know. So cheap, easy and quick to make. Enjoy!

88. Judy says:

Did I just say, “liquid dishwashing liquid” ??? Oh well, the recipe is a good one, and….you get the message.

I’ve been using that recipe for a while. It works for me!

89. Robert says:

Don’t stress over the terminology. “Detergent” just means “cleaner”. So soap IS a detergent!

That said, although some of you are reporting good effects on fabrics, these alkali-heavy recipes that’ve gotten around would’ve been considered inferior and hard on fabrics in the long run in the days when laundry detergents were all soap-based. The better quality soap powders were mostly soap with only a little alkali (such as washing soda or borax), much less than in the formula given above.

90. I love the washing powder recipe. I use the Fes-Naptha soap and it works really well. I have found my clothes are much softer, just as clean as commercial brands and they smell…clean and fresh. I add a small amt of oxy clean for my husbands work clothes just for the boast in cleaning dirt, dust and sweat. I have also made the liquid recipe and it works great too. I just didn’t like making it too much and storage of all of that liquid is troublesome..it makes a little more than 3 gallons.
    I love my DYI cleaners..I use the recipe for dishwasher detergent as well..very pleased with it also.
    For stain treatment, I use 2 parts hydrogen peroxide , 1 part Dawn dishwashing liquid and just spray it on the stains and it works wonders..even in the Sough georgia clay !