DIY spice shaker

January 27, 2012 by Lauren

These spice shakers are so easy. Josiah wasn't that into it when I asked him to do this project for me.... but by the end of it he was so pumped! He said it was lots of fun and they look so cool.

These "shaker" "pourer" things can be used for just about anything! Salt, sugar, herbs, spices, baking supplies, etc.

You will need:

-huge container of salt that has the metal spout
-mason jar (we used these)
-something sharp
-something to put inside!

Yeah, that’s it. You probably won’t even need to buy anything for this tutorial.

First, tear off the top of the salt container. You’ll then cut around the container where the white lid meets the brown cardboard stuff. A box cutter is good for this. (careful when cutting! There is probably still salt in your container. Try not to spill it everywhere! Josiah almost did. ha)

Now trace around your mason jar onto the white lid. You could’ve done this before step 1. Their order doesn’t matter. Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you that you’d need a pencil. Sue me.

Now cut around your tracing. Are we back in kindergarten? Trace and cutting. The cardboard stuff is pretty thick around the edges so it can be sort of tricky.

Then get your mason jar ring and put the paper under it. The paper should stay if you traced right because the metal ring has a bit of a lip. The lip will overlap the paper and make it stay put when you screw on the ring.

And voila! You are done. Now unscrew it if you want to add things to it – which I assume you do.

BONUS POINTS!!

Ok. If you want bonus points, do this next part. We cut out a piece of paper from an atlas to the shape of the lid, including the spout. That took some finagling and isn’t worth explaining. You could put any cool piece of paper in there – and you could write what’s in the container on the lid! SALT. Oooh, just thought of chalkboard paper/paint… that would be so cool. Just use chalk and wipe it off when you change what’s inside!

So, with spices, here are some examples:

Salt! (or sugar!)

Chili Powder

And oregano. As I was taking this picture I realized it totally looks like I’m storing weed in a mason jar with a spout. Hilarious. But really, it’s just oregano.

And now you have a lovely handmade spice shaker thing. Go do it!

1. […] theburlapbag.com via Julie on Pinterest Share this:TwitterFacebookEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

2. danielle says:

I can’t wait to do this. I think even my husband will be excited since our sugar for coffee is already in a mason jar – I LOVE mason jars! :)

3. Jenny says:

wonderful idea! I may try & convert this to different sized containers as well, or use it for my oregano too! ;)

4. Deborah Leppert says:

Your comment about the weed in the shaker jar reminded me about couple of Thanksgivings ago when my store ran out of McCormick’s poultry seasoning and we made up our own blend from bulk herbs and put it in tiny zipper bags. Needless to say I warned customers not so get caught speeding on their way home to cook Thanksgiving dinner ! ! HAHAHAHA!

5. Laura Marshall says:

I made this one right away after I saw it! Such a fun idea and looks great. I love the idea of being able to see what is inside rather than just regular packaging. I can’t wait to make more of them!

Thanks for posting such a great diy project!

6. Lesa says:

I like the others just love your great idea here ! Plus all the other recipes and stuff you have posted are Wonderful ! Wonderful ! Just Wonderful ! Keep up the Great job ! ! !
    I love everything you do…… Thanks so much !

7. Jennifer Pugh says:

I love this idea! My daughter loves the cinnamon and sugar mix that comes packaged. The texture is fine. So, what we do now is put cinnamon and sugar in the magic bullet. It makes the grains finer and mixes the two well. Instead of putting them in an empty spice jar, we use the shaker we learned here!! It’s awesome and that is her special jar.

8. jenny says:

I can’t wait to go get a bunch of mason jars and start collecting salt

9. […] The Burlap Bag – High Quality Handmade Goods Shop – Austin Texas -huge container of salt that has the metal spout -mason jar […]

10. FOOD REDUX says:

[…] projects and tips to help make the “home more simplified”.  See their DIY spice shaker here or learn how to make their homemade air freshener.    Below, Josiah and Lauren share a […]

11. Sher says:

This is BRILLIANT! I never know what to do with my spices, and I just hate the containers they come in – and I’ve not been fond of others you can buy. So smart and so cute!

I featured you here: http://masonjarcraftsblog.com/

12. […] DIY Spice Shaker – The Burlap Bag – High Quality Handmade Goods … […]

13. Sara Dawn says:

I wish my salt was empty! I’m half tempted to pour it in a mason jar and make the cute lid!

14. Ann MacNeil says:

great for your onion flakes, and garlic flakes too if you leave them a little chunkier after drying. i’m going to do this for chives. i grow them in my yard, and then cut them up with scissors into my dehydrator tray and away we go. any herbs grown in the garden and dried would be wonderful!

15. Mia says:

LOVE this DIY! Thank you for sharing this and all your other tips!

16. Hey, it was actually the MAP that sold me. I’m map crazy, and this is so cool. Can’t wait to do it.

As for the boiled eggs in the oven, I’m way too impatient to wait 30 minutes for an egg. But I can see that when you’re going to make a whole bunch of them for deviled eggs or something (I guess some people make those), then it’s really perfect! :-)

17. Bonnie Musselman says:

So many Great ideas, Burlap Bag! Thanks for sharing! God bless….

18. Sherry says:

So smart! I’m going to do this for my baking soda. It will keep it fresh & easier access.

19. Aquila says:

This is a really cute and handy idea. I do a lot of cooking so I have plenty of unattractive spice bottles on my spice rack that will find a new home in one of these little guys. Thanks for posting this simple little trick!

20. Pam says:

I am going to use the side-spout from a box of non-fat dry milk…just as good as a spout from salt!!!
    Thanks for the idea. I use LOTS of mason jars.

21. Patti says:

I can’t wait till tomorrow to buy mason jars!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE this site!!!!! Your awesome!!

22. Thea says:

Brilliant!!!! And I just emptied a salt container and didn’t throw it away ’cause I knew I could do something with it.

23. Sandra says:

This is a really neat idea. I have a couple little jars around that had jelly in them and I will make them into these little gems. Wish I had thought of this long ago.

24. Tena says:

I made one of these to hold sugar for a group I cook for. I love it because it contains the sugar ( which = ants ) and yet I can refill it.

25. janice says:

What I did was use a wide mouth mason jar and it fit perfect no cutting. Then I just stamped it with black ink instead of paper on the top. I put sea salt in the jar. What fun!

26. Rachel says:

Immediately dumped my salt into a ziplock to do this! Only trouble I am having is cutting my scrapbooking paper (pink plaid) to fit the spout, any tips on that one?
    I will be using mine to store crushed Oreo crumbs that I keep in a tupperware on the counter to jazz up my homemade frappacinos…yum! ;)