DIY spice shaker

These spice shakers are so easy. Josiah wasn’t that into it when I asked him to do this project for me…. but by the end of it he was so pumped! He said it was lots of fun and they look so cool.

These “shaker” “pourer” things can be used for just about anything! Salt, sugar, herbs, spices, baking supplies, etc.

You will need:

-huge container of salt that has the metal spout
-mason jar (we used these)
something sharp
-something to put inside!

Yeah, that’s it. You probably won’t even need to buy anything for this tutorial.

First, tear off the top of the salt container. You’ll then cut around the container where the white lid meets the brown cardboard stuff. A box cutter is good for this. (careful when cutting! There is probably still salt in your container. Try not to spill it everywhere! Josiah almost did. ha)

Now trace around your mason jar onto the white lid. You could’ve done this before step 1. Their order doesn’t matter. Oh, yeah, I forgot to tell you that you’d need a pencil. Sue me.

Now cut around your tracing. Are we back in kindergarten? Trace and cutting. The cardboard stuff is pretty thick around the edges so it can be sort of tricky.

Then get your mason jar ring and put the paper under it. The paper should stay if you traced right because the metal ring has a bit of a lip. The lip will overlap the paper and make it stay put when you screw on the ring.

And voila! You are done. Now unscrew it if you want to add things to it – which I assume you do.

BONUS POINTS!!

Ok. If you want bonus points, do this next part. We cut out a piece of paper from an atlas to the shape of the lid, including the spout. That took some finagling and isn’t worth explaining. You could put any cool piece of paper in there – and you could write what’s in the container on the lid! SALT. Oooh, just thought of chalkboard paper/paint… that would be so cool. Just use chalk and wipe it off when you change what’s inside!

So, with spices, here are some examples:

Salt! (or sugar!)

Chili Powder

And oregano. As I was taking this picture I realized it totally looks like I’m storing weed in a mason jar with a spout. Hilarious. But really, it’s just oregano.

And now you have a lovely handmade spice shaker thing. Go do it!

2018-06-23T13:37:30+00:00

1. Cranberry Morning August 21, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hey, it was actually the MAP that sold me. I’m map crazy, and this is so cool. Can’t wait to do it.

As for the boiled eggs in the oven, I’m way too impatient to wait 30 minutes for an egg. But I can see that when you’re going to make a whole bunch of them for deviled eggs or something (I guess some people make those), then it’s really perfect! :-)

2. Bonnie Musselman August 26, 2012 at 10:57 pm

So many Great ideas, Burlap Bag! Thanks for sharing! God bless….

3. Sherry January 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

So smart! I’m going to do this for my baking soda. It will keep it fresh & easier access.

4. Aquila January 3, 2013 at 9:57 am

This is a really cute and handy idea. I do a lot of cooking so I have plenty of unattractive spice bottles on my spice rack that will find a new home in one of these little guys. Thanks for posting this simple little trick!

5. Pam February 9, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I am going to use the side-spout from a box of non-fat dry milk…just as good as a spout from salt!!!
    Thanks for the idea. I use LOTS of mason jars.

6. Patti March 2, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I can’t wait till tomorrow to buy mason jars!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE this site!!!!! Your awesome!!

7. Thea March 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Brilliant!!!! And I just emptied a salt container and didn’t throw it away ’cause I knew I could do something with it.

8. Sandra March 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm

This is a really neat idea. I have a couple little jars around that had jelly in them and I will make them into these little gems. Wish I had thought of this long ago.

9. Tena March 27, 2013 at 11:58 am

I made one of these to hold sugar for a group I cook for. I love it because it contains the sugar ( which = ants ) and yet I can refill it.

10. janice April 17, 2013 at 8:04 am

What I did was use a wide mouth mason jar and it fit perfect no cutting. Then I just stamped it with black ink instead of paper on the top. I put sea salt in the jar. What fun!

11. Rachel May 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Immediately dumped my salt into a ziplock to do this! Only trouble I am having is cutting my scrapbooking paper (pink plaid) to fit the spout, any tips on that one?
    I will be using mine to store crushed Oreo crumbs that I keep in a tupperware on the counter to jazz up my homemade frappacinos…yum! ;)

12. […] If you’re all “I want to use my mason jars for EVERYTHING,” don’t think you’re limited to the standard lid. This DIY lets you convert your mason jar into a spice shaker in no time! Get the how-to VIA The Burlap Bag. […]