De-Seed a Pomegranate in under a minute!

And really, that’s it. We cut it in half. We pulled on the sides a little so it “gives”. Then, we banged on the outside part with a metal spoon. All the pomegranate seeds fell into a bowl!

We took a video of it so you can see it in action. Please note that it’s just 57 seconds long!

Yes, there were a couple (10 max) left in the pomegranate shell, but they are so easy to pick out. And doing all this in under a minute TOTALLY beats the normal “score the outside, then cut into 6 pieces. Then carefully pick out all the seeds for 10 hours or until you go CRAZY… whichever comes first”.

Ok let’s review. You’ll need: a pomegranate, knife, spoon, and bowl. Cut it in half. Bang on one side. Eat.

WARNING: It will look like a crime scene.
There’s a sharp knife covered in red, plus red splatters everywhere. The more you do this, you’ll get better at not splattering.

And now go eat and enjoy pomegranates! They are sooo tasty. In fruit salad, banana bread, drinks, etc. What do you guys like to put pomegranate seeds in?

2012-04-06T13:24:40+00:00 March 26th, 2012|Food Tips and Tricks|69 Comments

1. Chandra W. March 26, 2012 at 2:43 pm

This makes me giggle, because I don’t buy pomegranets due to the fact that I hate deseeding them! I might reconsider next time i’m at the store :) thanks for sharing!

2. Lauren March 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Haha glad you can buy them now! They are so good for you!

3. Chiara March 27, 2012 at 4:05 am

I have a big pomegranate tree and it’s always so difficult to eat the fruits XD thanks for the help :P

4. Catherine March 27, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Brilliant!

5. Cassie March 28, 2012 at 4:47 pm

To make this even easier yet, do it over a bowl full enough of water that it will likely cover the seeds by a couple inches. When all the extra shell-like bits fall in, they’ll float to the top. When finished de-seeding, pour the water off the top and all that flaky stuff goes with it, then use a colander or hold the seeds in with your fingers to pour out the remaining water (you risk losing a seed or two in the sink, but you don’t have to bother with the colander).

6. Monica Smith March 29, 2012 at 5:36 am

Wow I learning something new – although have the fun of the old way was having my daughter moan about how much work it was but how much she liked them. LOL

Thanks
    Monica

7. Katie March 29, 2012 at 10:20 am

I’ve seen this before and it’s saved me so much time, since pomegranates are one of my favorites! Try putting pom seeds in your guacamole, the pop of sweetness is yummy!!

8. Lindsey March 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I love pomegranates mixed in quacomole!!

9. beckie March 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm

are you kidding me? this is awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

10. Sebrina March 29, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I have to try this! I have only bought a pomegranate once and loved the taste but we lost a kitchen rug and my favorite shirt in the process due to the blood-like stains everywhere O_O

11. Lauren March 30, 2012 at 3:12 pm

pomegranates in guacamole… WHAT?! sounds so bizarre. And now I’ll hafta try it! Thanks ladies!

12. beverly March 30, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Try peeling/cutting the pomegranates under water (in the sink or deep bowl) to avoid the juice splashing.

13. Angiele March 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm

You seriously just changed my life!

14. P. Arthur April 1, 2012 at 9:34 am

What a cool website! I feel so smart with all my new-found knowledge. On to the eggs and pomegranate.

15. Sandy April 2, 2012 at 9:33 am

That is the ultimate in cool!

16. ddsparks April 3, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I think the general idea is cool, however, the actuality is that a ton of that POM is wasted. We all know it takes more than a minute to properly extract every delicious red morsel… just saying.

17. Lauren April 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

ddsparks – there totally aren’t a lot of pomegrante wasted – i’d never allow it! like i said in the post, there were about 10-15 left in the shell… which were easy to pick out.

18. Denise~ April 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Okay, so now that you have all the seeds out…can you eat them…isn’t there little seeds inside the little red things? I bought one once and didn’t know what to do with it…can you eat them like they come out?

19. Sandy April 5, 2012 at 12:21 am

I am new at Pinterest a found you, with alittle help from my daughter. The baked eggs and pomegranate tips are AWESOME!! Can’t wait to try them. I will be visiting you again.

20. Lauren April 5, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Denise – yes, eat the red things whole! A little crunchy but so good.

21. Linda April 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

poor fruit, he doesn’t know why he’s getting spanked by a metal spoon. :)

22. Leslie Aitken April 14, 2012 at 9:28 pm

My son in law’s family is from Mexico. He taught us a new way to eat pomegranate. After you get the seeds out, squeeze a half of a lemon over the seeds, sprinkle lightly with salt(I prefer kosher salt)and sprinkle with Tapatio (or Cholula)hot sauce. Use a Mexican hot sauce like these rather than a vinegar based southern style, or a Chinese or Asian based hot sauce. Mexican style hot sauce has an earthier flavor. Anyway toss the seeds with these ingredients, and dig in….The combination of sweet, sour, salty and spicy is wonderful and very common in Mexican foods. Once I tried it , I was hooked and have figured out how to take it further. I made a salad and put a bed of baby spinach and arugala on a plate, then made a chicken salad of chopped chicken, spring onions and cilantro tossed with a touch of olive oil, topped with the pomegranate mixture………..FANTASTICO!

23. Erin April 17, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I hate eating pomegranates because of the hard pit in the middle of all those little seeds! Do you chew the seeds or do you spit them out? I spit them out and just find eating pomegranates a waste of time because of it. I would really appreciate an answer because all these articles and posts I see about them puzzle me.

24. Tammy April 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Erin, I love the taste of poms so much that I don’t mind the crunch. If the crunch bothers you then they probably aren’t worth your time to eat them. Learn to love the crunch!!

25. Debbie April 29, 2012 at 12:48 pm

oh my… i am so excited to try this! :)

26. jamie April 29, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I think of the pits as more of a nut. Its delicious.

27. Whitney Isetta May 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I can’t wait to try this!!

28. Daiara May 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

really informative blog thanks for sharing and keep posting.http://www.kitsucesso.com

29. Aimê May 22, 2012 at 1:36 pm

thanks for such a great post and the review, i am totally impressed! keep stuff like this coming.http://www.cartaodecompras.net

30. Celeste May 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

thanks, i’ll need this information for my homework.http://www.kitsucesso.com

31. jil June 11, 2012 at 2:21 am

I love that… Not all of them came out but alot more than I get in a minute…. Definitely going to try this first then pick out the rest. I love pomegranates and can’t stand to even throw away any of them. I will only throw the soft white ones away…

32. Lisa G. June 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

OMG….awesome….just showed my teen daughter and she thanks you! ;)

33. Mary G. June 30, 2012 at 8:37 pm

LOVE this! I’ll go buy pomegranates again now!

For Erin, who hates the pits/seeds, you can just buy pom paste (a very thick syrup really) to use in recipes. It lasts a LONG time in the fridge, and is delicious!

34. Amy July 13, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Awesomeness!! I cant wait to go get one and try this!!

35. Amy July 14, 2012 at 12:00 am

Also what a great website! Love it!

36. Lacy July 16, 2012 at 3:30 pm

THANK YOU! I’ve been wanting to make chocolate covered pomegranate seeds forever now. [Trader Joe’s has some REALLY yummy ones and I keep thinking…. hey, I can make that!] And now I can. I’ve always been terrified to de-seed them. But now I’m going to put them in muffins, make a jam, and yes definitely make chocolate covered pomegranate seeds :)

37. Cynthia August 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Wow… this is why I never buy them… now I will

38. Mike Panic August 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

This is a great tutorial, however the flaw in it is that you should never use a sharp chef’s knife on a plate. Not only is it terrible for the knife, it’s possible slip and cut yourself.

39. Griff August 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I have a small quibble.
    The red things inside a pomegranate are called pips.
    The actual seeds are inside the pips.

When I was a child, my next door neighbor had a pom tree. My favorite time of the summer was when the fruit was ripe…straight from the tree, dig in and enjoy.

40. Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista September 16, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I have 2 pomegranates sitting on my counter for dinner tonight, doing this to them for sure!

41. Courtney September 30, 2012 at 7:28 am

Life changing!

42. [hot sauce|jalapeno|homemade] October 18, 2012 at 11:25 am

of course like your web site but you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I’ll certainly come back again.

43. Annoyed October 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Dear [Hotsauce|Jalepeño|Homemade]

If you are going to criticize someone’s spelling, you should probably use proper grammar and spelling yourself. In this one short comment, you do not punctuate correctly, you use run-on sentences, you fail to capitalize your words, and you say “I in finding it very bothersome” which makes no sense at all. I believe you meant “I AM finding it very bothersome.”

Those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Jerk.

Kudos on the excellent pom post, Lauren. I may need to hit the supermarket tonight! :)

44. Stargazer October 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

It’s not necessary to “de-seed” a pomegranate at all. Simply break the pomegranate into pieces and you can eat the insides just like an apple – including the white membrane surrounding the seeds.

45. Alyssa October 22, 2012 at 11:39 am

So Glad I saw this I have three pomegranates at home and have been wanting to eat them just have not had time to pick out all the seeds! Now I won’t have to!

46. wildcraft diva October 30, 2012 at 6:22 am

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. I’ve included a link in my recipe http://wildcraftvita.blogspot.it/2012/10/pomegranate-liqueur.html

47. Sonia November 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I learned about getting the seeds out of a pomegranate by floating it in water, but I like this method much more because it faster. Thanks!

48. Ann November 6, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I admit I was really skeptical about this technique. But I tried it and the results were AWESOME. There were maybe 10 seeds left in the shell, like you said. And it took less than 30 seconds. I’ll buy more pomegranates now. Thanks.:)

49. Andy Lion November 17, 2012 at 11:45 pm

I love pomegranates so much I eat the skin too. Some times I don’t even peel it, I just take bites like an apple.

50. Jennifer Nice November 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Fantastic! My friend forwarded this to me after I lamented about how long it takes me to peel a pomegranate (which I have willingly done b/c they are so tasty and healthy.) The blog post is so well written, too – I laughed out loud. Thanks for including the video.

51. Jan November 19, 2012 at 11:05 pm

After you score the pomegranate STRETCH around the rims, then whack it with the spoon. They all come out. It’s so easy.

52. kim Bail November 20, 2012 at 3:03 am

Hello, I sure enjoyed your demostration of seeding a pomegranette. Now maybe you can explain to me or show me how to eat without the seed. I so much love the juice. I’ve heard your suppose to eat the seeds. However their bitter and I have a problem with teeth, which makes it hard to eat certian things.

53. Theresa November 21, 2012 at 12:28 am

Oh my goodness! Wish I had seen this just about 5 hours sooner. My husband spent a good 30-45 minutes tonight on 3 pomegranates!!

54. Shawna Hamilton November 24, 2012 at 11:12 am

There is a much easier way to do that, and the video doesn’t show how all the pomegranate juice splashes everywhere. Here’s what you do…Cut the pomegranates in 1/4’s, then place them in a bowl of water. Let soak for 15 minutes, while in the bowl turn upside down skin facing up, pull slightly on both ends while upside down in bowl, seeds fall out easily with now mess!

55. Brian December 10, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for the tip, ive always wanted to know how to do this better!

56. Jasmine Ward December 30, 2012 at 2:13 am

I have to agree, this is definitely the way to do it. I love that you don’t fill the bowl with water like I’ve seen other people suggest. What a waste of pomegranate juice!!

57. Trina January 5, 2013 at 3:08 am

OMG! Thanks so much for sharing! It is brilliant and I’ll practice when I’m in a bad mood! Sorry pomegranate!

58. Whitney January 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This is a rather wasteful and violent way to do it. But, hey, Americans need things done instantaneously! Pomegranates should be handled with care. If you want to get every seed out, without it looking like a crime scene and without the inner skin attached to those seeds (as seen here at the end), just ask any someone who grew up with them. My fiancé, a Kurd from Turkey, showed me how, and there’s very little cutting involved and practically no “blood” is spilled. It’s a process that requires you to feel your way around the grooves of the fruit and push out the seeds, portions at a time by ripping at the skin and gently pulling at the seeds. It’s actually quite fun, but it does take a few more minutes than this process.

59. Amy January 23, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I have tried this way so many times and it never goes that fast…I have done it exactly how it is show in the video.

60. Jen March 2, 2013 at 7:07 am

Thank you for this! It usually takes me about half an hour to de-seed one of these yummy fruits. it also takes my two year old and I about the same amount of time to eat one!

61. kelly March 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

Is there an alternative link to watch this video? lt be that the plugin you use no longer functions.

62. Sandra March 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Wish I had seen this when I lived in the middle east. We bought pomegranates for 25 cents a kilo (2.2 lbs) and had them almost every day. Sure took a lot longer than this to empty one. Thanks for another great idea.

63. arry April 4, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I had no problem watching the video (am on a mac) and love this technique! Thanks so much and can’t wait to give this a whack…er…whirl…myself! :)

64. Michele April 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I have always done mine in water as Cassie suggested but not by hitting it with the spoon! I cannot wait to try it! I LOVE pomegranate! So, in true Lauren fashion, I am going to run out right now and buy one so I can try it!

65. Michele April 21, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Also, I find people’s issues with your post, quite entertaining! Keep it simple and carry on. Thanks!

66. rachel ward May 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Leave them in the bowl – water and they are yummy snacks to grab when you want a treat and little work! These things hold up for a long time!!

67. Laura McGinnis May 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Brilliant! I heard Martha Stewart talking about this trick on Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, and couldn’t believe it. Thanks for the video!!!

68. Carole May 24, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Interesting. I’ll have to try this technique because the last time that we bought a pom we seeded it in a bowl of water. It worked great, but we lost a lot of the juice.

69. SteveDenver April 2, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I grew up in a small town where my teachers — mostly women in the 50s-60s — had shortcuts for everything. Ever consider using a DRILL with the tine-end of a fork to spin apples so you can peel buckets in a flash? Never saw this before. I’m looking forward to giving it a try.