MAKE “hard boiled” eggs in the oven!

(Check out our new ONLINE SHOP for The Burlap Bag!!)

This is so cool. Yes, I know I always say that. BUT SERIOUSLY, it’s amazing. And WHY HASN’T ANYONE EVER TOLD ME THIS?!

You can BAKE eggs and they will come out exactly (if not better!) like normal hard-boiled eggs.

Yes, I’ve read all those tutorials of “the perfect hard-boiled egg”. They are too time consuming/attention needy for me! “get the water boiling with salt and baking soda and random other ingredient that supposedly helps with peeling. put in the eggs for 96 seconds. then remove it from heat and add the lid for exactly 8.2 minutes.”

Why baking them is awesome:

Stick them in the oven for 30 minutes.

And that’s it! SO easy. Bake them in the oven at 325-350 degrees for 30 minutes. (depending on your oven. Try one egg at 325 and see how it does!) I put them in mini muffin pans so they don’t wiggle around! (I thought I was super smart for that idea. No, I’m not humble. It was a great idea!)
Then go do something else for 30 minutes. Go get a snow cone, shave your legs, spend way too much time on pinterest (that IS how you found our blog… isn’t it? ha!), nag your husband about ____, make yourself a drink, or whatever it is you do in your free time.

That photo has no purpose. Other than showing off my amazing egg holder. Thank you parents!

NOTE: When you bake eggs, the shells will get little brown dots. (I don’t have photos. I forgot, sue me, yeah yeah) Totally fine! When you soak them in water (read below) the brown spots will all disappear!

After 30 minutes:

Get a huge bowl of ice water. Use tongs and put the eggs in the water. This stops the eggs from cooking more and getting yucky green. After they are cooled, 10ish minutes, you can peel them. Josiah HATES peeling eggs and always cries like a baby about doing it. But HE commented “Lauren this is so easy! Look!” So there. Maybe this way makes them more peelable. No more crying husband. Also, people have said that the yolks are creamier when you bake them and the egg white isn’t as rubbery! Another also, this is perfect for doing lots and lots of bulk egg cooking! My mini muffin tin would fit 24 eggs. No waiting for a HUGE pot of water to boil. Take that, you pot of boiling water.

And check out these eggs. They were all baked in an oven for 30 minutes and look PERFECT!

So go enjoy 30 minutes today while you’re baking some hard boiled eggs. (NOTE. All ovens are different, eggs are different sizes, etc. You might need to go shorter or longer than 30 minutes. Mine were perfect at 30 but do them as YOU like them! I cooked mine at 350 but some people said there’s were too done with that.)

After previewing my draft of this, Josiah said eggcellent. Without meaning to. He says he’s accidentally funny.
Also, do you pronounce it “egg yoke” or “egg yolk”? I’m definitely a YOLK person.

*edit. I’ve had some people tell me “lauren you’re dumb. this takes longer than boiling them!” YES I KNOW THAT! But… this way is easier for me. Just stick them in for 30 minutes and go do something.

Follow us for instagram for updates! instagram.com/theburlapbag

2018-06-23T13:23:13+00:00

1. Shasta November 24, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I do Low-Carb, so a lot of my day is eating eggs! This is a great idea .. and also I love your Egg Holder! I want one!

2. Sandy January 20, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pinterest! I found you there, where I spend countless hours! ha! THIS, is a genius idea, so is the muffin tin! YOU ROCK & thank you for “sharing”, some people won’t share “their secrets”, especially when it comes to cooking/recipes, for whatever reason??? They are TOO self-centered & just think they are too special, I guess. I am 60 yrs old, I know how to cook but always willing to learn more to just get better. I’ve read a lot of these remarks, if the ones that want to stick with the “old ways” then so be it, but, I can’t wait to try this method! I can’t wait to use this method on my eggs for dying for Easter, NO more cracked eggs to lay aside! YAY!!!! So, now my only problem is to learn “my temperature” that will work as my oven seems to bake hotter than the recommended temps/times for everything. I got new double ovens last year & they are JenAir brand & I love them, but they just seem to run very hot. By the way, I am in Missouri, although, I pronounce it, Missourahhh, just who ya talk to….I say both, but, yoke more than yolk. ha Everybody laughs & makes fun of me, it is “worsh” over wash. (born & raised in KS, 7th grade through 12, in CO, got married moved to MO, back to CO for several years & been back in MO the last 24 yrs. It just is…what it is, fokes, I mean folks. By the way, I seen that recipe for oatmeal raisin bars with cream cheese icing (looks like it is to DIE for & I can’t wait to try it), that lead me to the egg thing! Can’t wait to try both & I haven’t even started to look at the rest of your pins! Thanks so much for sharing! Love from Missourahh!!!

3. Shelley January 26, 2014 at 7:00 am

I’ve never made them in the oven, but I’m definitely going to give it a try and I love the idea of using a muffin tin. The cold water does make them easier to peel. Another trick for peeling is to put them all in a pot with a lid and shake like your popping popcorn. It separates the shell from the eggs. The shells literally just fall off.

4. Clara February 5, 2014 at 7:10 pm

Egg color depends on breed. There is no bleach involved! One of the oldest breeds, Dorkings, lay chalk-white eggs naturally. We have 8 laying hens and the eggs from one of those hens never peels as well as the others. Her mom is one of the other hens and I have no trouble with those eggs. Because we have our own hens I weigh the eggs so I’m working with similar weight eggs in each batch.

I like the idea of resting the eggs in Kosher salt. I have a jar I keep for making salt baked potatoes and this gives me another use for it. Baked my first batch today while the oven was on for something else. Worked about the same as my usual method, steaming using Alton Brown’s directions.

5. Kat February 21, 2014 at 5:13 pm

Did a batch of fresh farm eggs last week, 350 for 30 mins then into the ice bath, they peeled like a dream, a couple had green halo’s but they taste so much better, most had a brown spot from the aluminum pan will try the silicon one next time, just made an egg salad in the magic bullet,

6. Manon March 18, 2014 at 2:49 pm

To those who say … (Lauren you’re dumb. this takes longer than boiling them!)
    Well they are the dumb ones. If they insist on boiling eggs the proper way to do so is to bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand 30 minutes. Dhu!
    Thanks for this easy recipe.

7. Molly M March 31, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Add a pan of water the bottom of the oven as well.

8. Matt Wills March 31, 2014 at 6:52 pm

I’ve seen this elsewhere, and have asked elsewhere about the energy usage comparison:

Eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat, wait 15 minutes (which has always worked perfectly for me), or

Preheat an oven to 350 and run it for half an hour.

And I have to ask why ease of peeling is even mentioned; he/she is talking specifically about eggs for Easter. Who peels those until much later, if at all?

9. Pat April 18, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I just baked one egg at 325 for 30 mins, in a mini cupcake pan. Then I placed the egg in cold water for about 5mins. The egg did have a few brown spots on it after baking, they came off after being placed in the cold water. When cracking the egg it was super easy. The egg did have a little smell at first, it also had a couple of brown spots on the actual egg. No big deal to me, the egg tasted Great!!
    So, now I have 3 dozen of eggs baking :) Hope these all turn out because these are all I have. Having our grandson over tonight to dye Easter eggs.
    Thanks!!

10. Nicole April 19, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Definitely use older eggs. There will be no brown spots!

11. Funnermother June 8, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Plus, it’ll not add to the humidity in yr house on a hot summer day. In Pittsburgh, this matters — no stovetop boiling, thank you!

12. Darla Calia June 8, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Great post ….and yoke lol

13. mgaray July 31, 2014 at 9:35 am

Also, if you’ve already got your oven hot to cook something else, just let it run an additional 30 minutes to cook a ton of eggs at the end. Much more efficient, if you ask me…

14. Joyce August 21, 2014 at 6:04 am

Seems like a great idea; I’ve seen it pinned multiple times in the past, but hadn’t tried it. Think I will tomorrow so I can have deviled eggs to take to work over the weekend. I’m wondering if perhaps lining the muffin tin cups with cupcake liners would help to reduce the brown spots? Just thinking “out loud in cyber space.”

Eggs really shouldn’t explode in the oven; it’s a slow heat, cooking from the outside in, whereas a microwave cooks by vibration of the food cells, inside to outside, and certainly can explode eggs. I want to try this method of cooking eggs–if it works in the ancient oven in this house (I think it’s from the 1960’s), then I can be the “official” deviled egg supplier at our ICU potlucks :-) ).

Spelled “yolk,” but pronounced “yoke,” at least in my family. Never really thought about it, LOL.

15. Michelle September 27, 2014 at 11:09 am

11:10- Found recipe. 11:25- Eggs in oven. 11:55- Put eggs in ice water bath. 11:56- Convinced my daughter we didn’t have to wait since it’s an experiment AND I made an odd amount. I did SAY EGGSperiment and cackled through the kitchen at my wit. 11:57- Happy dance. 12:05- Nine eggs gone. 12:06- 24 eggs in the oven. =) Thank you very much for educating me! Oh, yolk. And, I’ve never peeled easier hard boiled eggs. They are one of my favorite foods. I’m 38. I’m an eggspert peeler. These were fabulous. The brown spots were on the inside of all my eggs, but I think they added character and awesome texture.

Subscribe for news, discount codes on our silly candles and other fascinating info.