Put a Mason Jar on your Blender!

March 16, 2012 by Lauren

You can... put a mason jar on your blender!! Yes. You can. Well, if it fits on your blender. A lot of mason jars are different sizes. And a lot of blenders are weird. If you have a blender like mine, and a cute lil jar like mine, then you can make awesome single-serving smoothies. It's so cool. (there's a video at the bottom if you don't believe me!)

Be careful when trying this… we used all fresh fruit and I’m not sure what would happen with some ice. AKA… try at your own risk. Mason jars probably aren’t as strong as blender glass.

Go grab a mason jar. See if it will screw into your blender. If it won’t fit perfectly… DON’T DO THIS. Ha. Mine just screwed right in!

Then take it back out and put in whatever you want! We put in bananas and blackberries and a tad bit of milk. You then have to screw on the lid thing and then flip everything upside down. If your mason jar TRULY fits, then nothing will leak out. If something is leaky…. something is wrong and DO NOT use this in your blender!! Be careful when trying this… we used all fresh fruit and I’m not sure what would happen with some ice. AKA… try at your own risk.

and then put it in place in your bottom blender thing.

and… BLEND! Don’t think this will really work? We filmed our first time trying to blend using the mason jar… watch below! i was scared of what would happen! and what happened? blending.

and look at our pretty single-serving banana and blackberry smoothie!! yum yum yum.

enjoy! tell me if your mason jar works!

1. David Barto says:

I have to say that this is not the smartest thing to do and you should put a BIGGER disclaimer at the top. While the threads might be the same, the glass is most certainly not. The blender glass is thicker, and most likely a different formulation that makes it stronger. Blending fresh or thawed fruit might be ok, any ice in there might have the potention to shatter the mason jar. Just my $.02.

Hey David – thanks for your comment! We did tell people to use their own judgement… I will put the warning in bold so people are sure to see it! Thanks!

3. Jamie-Lee says:

Love this idea! Now if only I had extra mason jars…

4. Nora Leszynski says:

Hmmm….. I tryed it and the glass webbed, but it didn’t leak or anything. It’s a pretty good idea!

5. Nate says:

A mason jar will not break any easier than a blender jar. Mason jars are formulated to handle intense pressures and temperatures without breaking as their primary purpose is for canning.

6. Kali P. says:

Hmmm, I tried this a couple weeks ago and the jar unscrewed itself from the ring and I had a huge mess of garlic, olive oil and coconut oil on my hands. It looked like it was because the blender jar has nubs that grab nubs on the blender base, but a mason jar doesn’t. I’m afraid to try it again!

7. CONNIE CHESTNUT says:

I JUST SIGNED UP THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR SITE

8. Claudirene says:

there are many of the articles over internet but this one seems to be taking most of the time. i loved reading ithttp://www.desentupidorarecife.com

9. Lanie says:

I just did this with a ball mason jar. Worked perfectly, no leaking or breaking. I thought about using crushed ice for my smoothie but ended up using just three cubes right out of the freezer. I’ll definitely do this again.

10. Leslie says:

Hey, that’s my blender! LIKE!

11. Liz says:

I just saw the Tribest Personal Blender and they use mason jars (and yes with ice!) and recommend you use them… so unless your blade is too big or it won’t seal properly I say go for it!!! BTW you just saved me $85 bucks! Thanks!

12. kristen says:

This is pretty freakin awesome. I’ll try it.

13. Barbara says:

My original Oster blender’s manual (about 47 years old now and still going in a son’s home) recommended using Mason jars on it! I have a newer Cuisinart like yours, and I use them frequently to chop small amounts of things. I have found the jars to be extremely sturdy, but then I don’t mix cement in them, either, nor have I tried ice. But since I’ve done this for at least 47 years, I think I can quite safely say Mason jars work wonderfully if they fit your blender base!

14. Thank you for the lovely post. As others have noted, Ball Mason jars are designed to function under extremes of temperature. I’ve used them for years, since learning to can foods as a child. Not every blender will work with every type/size of canning jar–so, of course, experiment. I love to take my hot chai green tea, chilled super green smoothies, and other portable drinks with me in a high-quality glass canning jar w/ lid. I have read negative reviews of aspects of the Tribest blender design (cord storage and motor issues) and prefer a glass jar to a BPA-free plastic container any day. Happy smoothie drinking~*

15. Jay says:

My youtube video might be of interest to those wanting to use a wide mouth Mason, Kerr or Ball jar.

16. Shut the front door! This is flippin’ crazy! I would have never known if I did not check out this post. Idk if I can on my blender. I have an old style one. I will have to try tomorrow. This is nuts but kool!

17. Smoothie lover says:

Does the blender you’ve shown use regular or wide mouth mason jars?

18. Anne Trim says:

I use this all the time and have been doing it for years on different blenders. I do hold on to the jar to make sure it doesn’t unscrew like it did to Kali P. This saves so much time and bother, no need to scape food or wash container.