Re-Grow Celery by planting the base!

I’m really good at killing plants. I should get an award for “best at making plants die”. I killed an aloe vera plant… which are supposed to be super easy to take care of. Oops… Which is why I’ve waited awhile before sharing this awesome project with you guys. I had to make sure this one actually works AND that I could keep the plant alive for at least two weeks. Ha! Never throw the end of your celery away again!

We:

Cut off the celery base. About 2-3 inches from the bottom? Use all the other celery in some yummy soups, for pb&celery, chicken salad (oooh, especially since now you know how to shred your chicken in 30 seconds!) Put it in a small hole with the cut side facing up.

And cover it with dirt. Then water it. Check on it daily and water it if it looks like it’s thirsty. Soon it will GROW! And then you can just cut off a stalk or two whenever you need one!! Mine isn’t big enough to eat yet… i’ll let ya know when that happens…. and then what happens after that! I assume it’ll keep growing new stalks but I really haven’t a clue.

My photo at the top was after 2 weeks…. so it does like to take it’s sweet time growing. But hey, I haven’t killed it yet! Anyone else terrible at keeping plants alive?

So – go plant your celery. This can go on your list of “pinterest projects that I’ve actually tried!” All your friends will think you are so smart.

2018-06-23T13:19:12+00:00

1. Lynne December 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I tried this with celery and leeks. The celery started to grow, got about 4″ tall, then rotted. The leeks are still growing well. I’m going to try it with lettuce next. Thanks for the tip!

2. Lise Sculland April 18, 2013 at 12:29 am

can also grow an attractive trailing vine for a planter by immersing the bottom of a sweet potato. Grows fast.

3. Danielle May 18, 2013 at 10:10 am

Beet greens! Plant your uneaten beets and get beet greens (potassium-rich) for months. I discovered this after finding a literally months-forgotten tupperware of beets in the back of my fridge – they weren’t moldy, and they had sprouted some baby leaves. I planted them and enjoyed fresh beet greens for months.

4. Andrea May 22, 2013 at 8:51 pm

did this…and it is now growing in my garden!

5. Melba castagna June 24, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Wow ,I’m gonna try this. I hear you can do that with the stump of a pineapple

6. Joliene Wright August 3, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Rooted my celery in water in kitchen, in spring. When warm enough planted in pot on deck. Growing very slow . Has a lot of nice leaves but nothing on stocks big enough to eat. How long before you can harvest?

7. Lauren Helen October 6, 2013 at 11:13 am

I usually root them in water indoors first, but I love telling my friends that I do this, they always are so surprised that it’s possible! :)

8. randy June 1, 2015 at 6:33 am

Very cool But now my mind goes a little further ……..What if you already were growing celery why not just cut the stalks entirely off from the ground and Not disturb the end with the roots? Would you have celery that never stops producing??

Subscribe for news, discount codes on our silly candles and other fascinating info.