Shave those pills off your clothes!

March 1, 2012 by Lauren

I saw a "trick" online and thought "Weird! I wonder if that really works!"

So I tried it. Yes, you can indeed shave the pills off of your sweaters and jackets and any other article of clothing that is pill-y. Pilly? Is that a word?
And there's really nothing to it. Grab a razor and just shave away like you would on your face/legs/wherever.
We used a disposable one so there wouldn't be any random hairs in the photo... ha!

***EDIT EDIT! - DON'T GO TOO FAST WITH A RAZOR WITH LOTS OF BLADES! You might cut a hole in your clothes. We didn't run into that problem at all with the disposable razor/single blade... so maybe stick with those. here’s the one we used.

AND GO.

We started with the top part of this jacket… look at how clean it is!

Enjoy your pill-less life!

EDIT— yes… I know you could just buy an electric pill shaver thing. But the whole point is that you don’t have to buy anything for this! And could do this anywhere that you have a razor… including traveling!

1. [...] Enjoy your pill-less life! No comments yet. We started with the top part of this jacket… look at how clean it is! Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time. The Burlap Bag – High Quality Handmade Goods Shop – Austin Texas [...]

2. bitsofmoxy says:

I use this technique all the time. I would also recommend if shaving a thin knit sweater to pull somewhat taught before shaving (over a dress form or piece of card board) to avoid shaving a hole (been there, done that a few times.)

3. Sydney says:

Running off to try this now…I’ll have to be super careful because it’s my favorite ballet leotard that’s now covered with pills, but it’s a lost cause if I don’t try anyway!

4. Natasha says:

I tried this works amazingly!! I now love my like new wool sweater :)

Ps does this get me another entry for the cantaloupe bowl :D

5. McKay says:

So annoyed – guess I didn’t see the warning? I got 3 holes and slits in my sweater. Don’t think I’ll be doing this again. Maybe I didnt go slow enough, or maybe the sweater was too thin, all I know Is I still have fuzz balls :(

6. Monica says:

Hints from Heloise had this many years ago. I too put holes in some things, but works great on thick cotton socks.

7. Katie says:

Literally, just today, I was thinking about how the shirt I was wearing was a little pillsy, and I thought, “I know, I know, I KNOW I heard a way to take care of that forever ago, but what was it? Am I supposed to use a razor to just shave it off? No, that’s a bit ridiculous.”

Thanks so much for assuring me it isn’t! =D.

8. Rebecca says:

wow, I need to do this! Never thought of it!

9. Amy says:

The guys in the Army use this same technique for their berets.

10. Luiz says:

I use a hair shaver at 20 degrees to the “grain,” then parallel, then a one-blade safety razor. It takes about 30 minutes a sweater, but they look fantastic. Be careful with the hair shaver, especially with Marino wool (Cashmere is the easiest). It really does take this long, so don’t rush it. I also use a mans electric face shaver to dig into the edges around the seams without fear of making a hole. I also use a giant artist-style clipboard and clothespins so I can do this while watching TV. Hope this helps somebody!

11. Daniel says:

will this damage the jacket over time if you keep doing it?

12. Renee says:

I just tried this on my husbands favorite sweat shirt! It worked like a charm! Thank you soooooo much!

13. sherry shapiro dornblaser says:

This is a great idea!! I’ve also used sandpaper and it works really well.

14. Ellie says:

Regarding the sandpaper you’ve used, Sherry: Was it a fine, medium, or coarse grit? Thanks!

15. nisha says:

i saw this, ran to my pant and started shaving, ive been looking for a solution for a loooong time

16. Liz says:

I shaved the little pills off my sheets and made them nice and smooth again.

17. Jere says:

I know this works! I had an induction to attend and these little pills were on my suit, my daughter told me about the razor, but being in a hotel, I used the tool that we Ladies use to touch up my eyebrows and it worked out perfect.My suit looked brand new almost. Wonderful DIY

18. wendy says:

I have done this for years and found that using a lint roller along with the razor works wonders to keep the area you are working on clean. I also keeps the ‘debris’ from going somewhere else that you have to clean up. I also do this on an ironing board to create a strong support — seems to make the process a little easier.

19. wendy says:

I’ve been doing this for years and it works really well. I find that using a lint roller to clean up the area I’m working on helps move the ‘project’ along. I also usually try to use an ironing board to support my ‘project.’

20. […]  fonte: http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/03/shave-those-pills-off-your-clothes […]

21. Joan says:

Actually the razor works much better than a pill shaver

22. […] #33-B: Use old razor blades to remove pills off of your clothes. (via The Burlap Bag) […]

23. OMG You’re a life saver! Loving your blog!

24. […] source: The Burlap BagShave away the […]