Shred chicken fast in a mixer

March 10, 2012 by Lauren

This is ridiculous. Ridicuously awesome. I love life hacks like this:
You can shred chicken in a mixer. In about 40 seconds. MIND = BLOWN.

So don’t waste time trying to get your chicken shredded with two forks. It might not seem that tedious but Josiah and I always hate that job and try to get out of it.

I took pictures and even a video. YES A VIDEO! It’s terrible though, so enjoy it by laughing at it. It’s at the end.

You’ll need: A mixer with the white flat beater guy.

You also need: Some cooked, still warm, meat. We did chicken. I’m sure you could make some great pulled pork sandwiches this way! NOTE: Your meat needs to be warm! If it’s cold, it could hurt your mixer.

Turn the mixer on the first or second setting. I turned mine higher for a second and chicken started flying out… ha. So don’t do it too high!

After 30 seconds to a minute, you should have some lovely shredded chicken. Bask in it’s glory, and then go make something awesome with it!

Don’t believe me that you can get shredded chicken from your mixer? I filmed it. I’m terrible at video so excuse… everything blurry. It gets… less blurry at the end. You can even see steam coming off the chicken!

go get shredded.

1. Ctrujillo says:

I am so excited I may be springing for a kitchenaid.

2. LynnM says:

Absolutely LUVVVVED this tip. I hate to shred chicken for my chicken burritos. Tried this the other night with some left-over cold rotisserie chicken – I just cut the pieces across the grain in about 1-1 1/2″ chunks and it worked beautifully. Hooray for NEVER HAVING TO SHRED CHICKEN AGAIN!!!!

3. Laura Marshall says:

too funny! I love it and am sure I will need to use this. The video is perfect, and makes it memorable! Thanks for posting.

4. Beckie says:

Epically-Genius. I’m trying this ASAP. Thanks! PINNED IT!

5. Cindy says:

I LOVE this idea! It was so stupid-easy, I can’t believe it took me this long to know this! I’ve tried this with chicken, beef, and pork. Works great every time! And you can shred a little or a lot! The longer you have the meat in the mixer, the finer the shred and “creamier” the meat texture is.

6. Alicia says:

So happy to have come across this on pinterest! I have been dying for chicken tacos at home but hate that my chicken gets cold during the fork shredding process and who doesn’t need another reason to have the best machine ever in use on their counter. I love/enjoy my Kitchen Aid, best birthday present ever!

Alicia – oh, aren’t kitchen aids just the BEST?!? :) obsessed with mine.

8. Amazing! I needed this tip yesterday but at last I’ll be prepared for next time! Thanks!

9. Jackie A says:

Thanks so much for this tip – I just shredded 3 lbs of chicken in less than a minute. But I don’t own a stand mixer. I used a hand mixer and it worked perfectly!

10. Sonia says:

I did it and it really works!!!!

11. Sheila says:

I can’t believe I’ve been doing it the hard way all this time while my flat beater attachment was just sitting in the drawer! Thanks for the tip….can’t wait to do some shredding!!

12. Mini says:

+ the 5 mins spent washing the beater/bowl + the water and resources wasted = SO NOT WORTH IT.

1. it takes me about 20 seconds to hand wash a bowl… :)
    2. but my mixer can actually go in the dishwasher, wahoo!
    3. you’re gonna have to wash whatever bowl/forks you shred it with….
    but if you’d rather shred it by hand, go for it! i love to mix it.

14. Shelly says:

I did it with cold chicken and it worked just fine – no damage to my mixer (and I did 4 breasts at once). Love this! Such a timesaver!

cold chicken, really? awesome! good to know!

Just did a WHOLE pork tenderloin and it was AWESOME!

17. Stacy says:

I love love love this tip, however am a little grossed out by the slapping, squishy sounds of the warm chicken in the mixer bowl. Love meat but hate the processing part of meat eating. I’ll make sure I have headphones in with music while doing this so I’m not hurling while trying to make a fantastic dinner for the fam. Thanks mucho!

18. leah says:

Oh my… a new use excuse for me to use my mixer…im in heaven :)

19. Allison says:

Just remember to bone the stuff first!
    I use my 20 QT Hobart (a giant Kitchen Aid)to cut butter into pie dough. I make enough for 3-4 double crust pies. 0=;-)

20. Kellie says:

I’m so jealous…I don’t have a stand mixer.

21. […] shredding my chicken in the stand mixer that was out and ready because of my tortilla making I assembled my enchiladas.  I always use more […]

22. Ander says:

Or, stop eating meat altogether—how about that?

Animal foods really aren’t necessary. My family and I haven’t eaten meet for 20 years. We just eat a good selection of veggies, fruit, grains, nuts and seeds, and we’re in super health and feel terrific. We have a collection of no-meat cookbooks that make each meal a real treat.

Skipping meat is much better for our planet, too. Did you know it takes TEN times the resources to raise a pound of animal protein as it does a pound of veg. protein? There’s a terrible problem with animal waste containment, too; every time you hear about harmful bacteria in a water supply, it’s bound to be from food-animal waste—there’s just so much of it!

Finally, it’s much CHEAPER to skip meat. Meat’s always the most expensive food you can buy. Save up your extra dough for a family holiday!

Thanks for considering this. Cheers, Ander

23. Lou says:

This was fantastic-thank you!

24. Sarah says:

This is the most amazing thing ever, I use it to mace fajitas!

25. Sarah says:

I liked Mandy on facebook!

26. Sarah says:

I favorited Mandy on my Etsy!

27. Catherine Michalk says:

This is seriously by favorite tip on your blog. It has saved me so much time in my life. Also every time someone says Kitchen Aid I tell them about it.

28. Danielle says:

I use this tip all the time. Best tip ever! I love your simple tips that I actually can use.