Update on Growing Green Onions in Water

March 9, 2012 by Lauren

My green onions are still growing! And they are probably getting too long - - I should eat some soon! In fact, I will. Tonight. In scrambled eggs. Mmmm.

Have no idea what I'm talking about? In this post, I shared how you can grow green onions in water. Yep, don’t throw away those ends when you cut them off. Stick them in water, and in 8 days, you could have THIS:

Aren’t they HUGE?! I was amazed. I definitely didn’t think they’d grow that much… that fast!

Turnip (also known as Grumpy. Look at that face.) was super impressed too and wanted to eat ‘em.
Carrots (also known as Fatty) was polite and didn’t jump in the photos while Lauren was trying to shoot.

Please tell me how your green onions are coming along!! Be sure to be changing the water every other day.

p.s. doesn’t this seem like the coolest kid project? have them measure the green onions every day!

1. Laura Marshall says:

I love this! I haven’t tried yet but will. I have done it with celery – cut the bottom off and put it in water for a week then replant in a pot… and wow celery grows back!

2. Kimber says:

I did this with just one or two in each glass up on a tall windowsill, I got about 4″ in a week :) put a bundle in a glass and changing the water daily, will see how they respond to being semi-cramped in a glass.

3. danielle says:

mine look like they are dieing….

4. Emelie says:

Oh my goodness! My kitten, Ace, is obsessed with mine! I have to find a new place to put them as he likes to steal them and use them as toys!

5. Bree says:

I tried this out and mine lasted for nearly a month! I just trimmed what I needed and then let them grow out some more. The freshness factor definitely wears off on them after awhile, but I was really impressed and can’t wait to do it again.

6. Erin H. says:

My first try was a failure. Tap water was no good. But now we’re going for a successful round three using filtered water replaced every other day. This is perfect. We buy onions all the time!

7. janet says:

this also works in garden soil in a pot or the garden

8. Janet says:

This is such a great idea! I’m going to have to try this next time I buy green onions. I do want to say that onions in general are poisonous to cats (I’m not a vet, but that’s what I’ve always been told and what I’ve found on the internet) so you might want to watch out for your cats eating them.

there was no actual eating of the green onions by the kitties :)

10. ADL says:

Have you checked out if they are safe to eat though??? Growing in just water sitting on a counter would produce bacteria even with changing every-other-day.

11. Gina Bluhm says:

My friend told me about this recently, as she saw it on Pinterest, so I tried it with onions from my garden. It works!

12. Bex says:

I did this same thing only with a regular yellow onion that started to sprout in the basket. I just put it in a glass of water and it started growing green onion shoots just like your green onions. I finally put it in a pot of soil and left it out on the deck. It keeps growing green onion shoots and I just go out and lop off a few when I need them. So regular onions work, too!

13. Lef says:

I’ve been trying out this idea for a couple of weeks now, but to no avail. The water smelled terribly, half my onions died and the rest just don’t grow. My jar got ruined, too.

So, what I’m going to do, today actually, is put some more onions in a pot, just the place where plants should be.

14. brandi says:

I’ve been growing mine for several months now! at first I kept them in a jar like yours but then I potted them. When I needed the pot for a peppermint plant I transplanted back to a jar and they are STILL going strong! just a little sink water and fertilizing once a month.