3 day cleanse with micronutrient foods

This means: vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes (beans), and seeds.
No processed foods, no dairy, no flour, no added sugar, no meat.
But I can eat: avocado! quinoa! (it’s actually seeds!) tomatoes! beans! and lots of other tasty things!

We decided to get a juicer and we love it. there’s no way we were gonna pay $400 for one of those crazy juicers! we got one for $50 and it works SO great!! Would totally recommend it – ours is the Big Mouth Juicer

Freshly juiced apple juice… AMAZING! Add in some spinach and kale, which you won’t taste, and you’re just packing in nutrients. We’re having fresh juice a couple of times during the day, and eating some un-juiced too. (bananas don’t juice so well…) Other than that, we’re snacking on nuts and my yummy fresh quinoa salad. And avocados. I’m also not eating any salt! That’s the hard part for me. I love salty foods. So I just make sure to add lots of other flavors so my mouth doesn’t miss the salt – fresh garlic, onions, and lime juice in the quinoa salad and on the avocados!

Here’s a couple of our juice recipes we’ve made….

Light green juice – (a great breakfast juice – It keeps us full until lunch! It’s a great “beginning” juice recipe… tastes like apple juice!)

Ingredients:

3 apples
3 carrots
Huge handful of spinach
Huge handful of kale or collard greens
1 orange

Ours made 28oz – enough for the both of us!

and another:

Dark green juice – (this one definitely has a more intense veggie flavor…)

Ingredients:

1 apple
1 carrot
1 cucumber
2 celery stalks
Huge handful of spinach
Huge handful of kale or collard greens
a few sprigs of parsley

What’s great about the juices – you can change them to what tastes good to you! add in a little more spinach, lemon juice, ginger, etc.

Share any juice recipes that you love! We’re still experimenting with more veggies and fruit! I haven’t tried any tomato juice ones yet, but I really want to. We added a very small section of a beet to one and we both HATED it. ew ew ew. So bitter. But, it did make the drink a nice pink color… still not worth it. Ha!

Anyways – off to eat my quinoa salad for lunch before I get grumpy at Jo. (no, i’d never do that… :) )

2012-05-26T15:16:16+00:00 May 15th, 2012|Food Tips and Tricks|9 Comments

1. Gina May 16, 2012 at 1:51 am

these drinks sound yummy.:)thanks for sharing;)

2. Lauren May 17, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Gina you are welcome! :)

3. Patty May 17, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’m doing a 10 day juice cleanse and while I wouldn’t say that I LOVE juicing, I certainly understand and appreciate the benefits :)

my fave juice recipe these days is:
    2 carrots
    1 tomato
    handful of kale
    handful of broccoli
    parsley
    1 apple
    chunk of ginger…so good!!

4. Lauren May 17, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Patty – totally agree. Juicing is a great way to cleanse – but I love eating real food! I’ll hafta try your juice…. Thanks!

5. Duckie July 10, 2012 at 10:58 am

I make a fruit smoothie that’s absolutely wonderful for those hot days. :D
    I’m also not a huge fan of milk and yogurt in my smoothies ( since they don’t last nearly as long in the heat)
    All you need is:
    2-3 bananas
    Half a box of strawberries
    About a handful of seedless mixed berries ( if you want to go that way )
    3 cups of ice
    1 cup of apple juice
    1 Blender! :D

What to do:
    – Mix in ice and juice first.
    ( I don’t have a very good blender so I have to crush my ice first. )
    – Cut up bananas and strawberries.(No peels or leafy stuff)
    – Toss it in!
    – Blend it!

+ If you notice it’s not blending because it’s too thick, keep adding small amounts of juice till it blends smoothly.

Seems like a lot, but really only takes a few minutes.

This makes around 32-40oz. Depending on how much fruit or juice you really ended up using.

(Side note: I also never add sugar since the fruit and juice have natural sugar in it. )

6. LeeCee August 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm

hey, are these juices good for weight loss?

7. Judy April 7, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I just started learning about these nutrient drinks,sounds wonderful do u find u can lose weight by drinking these ? do u peel the cucumbers, oranges,apples etc etc? also wondering if u eat solid foods during the day or how many of these drinks do u have a day,any info u may have would be gratful, thank you

8. Karen September 14, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Regarding the Quinoa salad, are the vegetables like zuchini and squash cooked first?

Thanks you.

9. Marie October 4, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Ah, this makes me want to purchase a juicer! Great ideas.