Homemade Garlic Powder

June 6, 2012 by Lauren

HOMEMADE GARLIC POWDER

ingredients:

-garlic.

instructions:

-Getcha garlic. Lots and lots of garlic.
-Peel them all.
-Cut them into thin, uniform slices.
-Stick them in the oven at the lowest temperature yours will go (mine goes to 150). OR a dehydrator! But we don’t have one of those.
-Leave it in there for forever. (ok, a couple of hours. your oven is barely on) But they need to be VERY VERY DRY. Brittle. If they are a little “wet” still and you do the next step, they will jam everything. (i know from experience with a few fatter garlic pieces. oooooops)
-Then stick them in a coffee grinder. OR a mortar & pestle if you like a good arm workout. 30 seconds in a coffee grinder and you will have garlic powder EXACTLY like the kind you’d buy at the store. Except without the preservatives that some of the store ones have. Yuck, preservatives! Yay, all natural garlic powder!

Ok. Now pictures to walk you through it all.

getcha garlic.

Peel them all. you should probably do this while watching a movie. but i just sat there and watched my cats bite each other’s faces.

Lay them all out on a baking pan. (this is why Josiah is AWESOME. i would’ve just slapped them all down. but he lays them straight and nice in rows. they look lovely. life is art)

Bake them at the lowest temperature ever… for forever. Yes. I destroyed his nice straight lines. I kept poking pieces to see if they were done. sry jo. OH AND A NOTE: this will make your house smell so so so much of garlic. I loved it. Josiah hated it. Ha

And then grind it up! It should be done in 30 seconds if your garlic pieces are truly dry. Then you’ve got some homemade garlic powder!

I stuck mine in a old spice container. Which still smelled of basil. So now I’ve got basil scented garlic powder. Haha oops. Still just as tasty!

Isn’t that the coolest food recipe trick thing ever??! Never buy garlic powder again. You could mix in salt and make your own garlic salt jar. Or you could mix in onion & red pepper flakes and salt and make your own yummy seasoning.

okbyez.

1. R Vizzy says:

Whaaaat? gonna do it right now!

2. yun says:

wow, I’ll do it on Saturday!

3. That is a fantastic trick! And, btw, I think you’re hilarious. Just found your blog (thank you, pinterest, and your baking eggs post) and I LOL’d when I read “I just sat there and watched my cats bite each other’s faces.” Love it!

:) glad you enjoy my snarky writing. i really did just sit there and watch them bite faces…

5. Margaret says:

What a fun little tutorial! I’m a garlic powder fiend! And I’ll definitely benefit from this tutorial as I use garlic powder on so many things, it’s gotta be cheaper than buying it! Thanks so much for this!

6. Laura Lane says:

We use so much garlic powder!
    Pinning this.
    I really don’t need it now; but, I will when I get low on powder.

7. rikki says:

Discovered your blog about 2 months ago and absolutely love it!!!! Too bad I live in Ohio, I would definitely love to visit your shop. Just one question, how long do you think this and the onion powder/flakes would last?

hi rikki – i’m not sure how long it will last… we’ve had the garlic powder for two weeks now and it’s great! it does clump a little – which i’m sure the store kind has preservatives to help with clumping. but i just take a fork to it and it’s great.

9. lynn says:

Hubby saw a hint on peeling garlic that amazed us when it worked…it is just too easy! Place your garlic cloves in a bowl, cover with a smaller inverted bowl. (looks kinda like a spaceship) Now shake, shake, shake while holding both bowls – you don’t want a flying saucer, I mean bowl. Now peak inside and Voila! You now have peeled garlic cloves.

10. Liliam says:

Is that rellay all there is to it because that’d be flabbergasting.

Lynn – I’ve seen this before! Have yall been able to get it to work? Every time I do it, only like 1/3 of the garlic gets peeled.

12. Joe says:

Interesting idea, I’ve made plenty of dried herbs but not thought to do this. In truth though there is very little I would use garlic powder for any more, besides making an effort to keep garlic cloves on hand I always have a large jar of garlic paste in the fridge. Easy and cheap to procure at an Indian or Asian grocery. Garlic and other lilly family seasonings get a lot of their flavor from volatile aromatics that are cooked off in the drying process, so powder has a very different character than wet.

13. SUSAN says:

and if you get hardneck garlic like we raise, awesome. Website is under construction

14. :) says:

Can’t believe I never decided to look into this until now. Thank you!

15. Hi, just found your lovely diy n lovely blog, more infos, lotsa idea and really happy writing style. Sadly i live in malaysia. Ha ha. Will follow this diy homemade garlic powder. Thanks!

16. han says:

Am curious, do you use anything to lubricate the cookie sheet? I have a lot of garlic I want to make into powder and plan on using my glass pans, cookie sheets, and cake tins to get it all in at once. Would you recommend using butter, oil, parchment paper, or anything?

17. deepa Jethani says:

I haven’t oven, how can I make this?

18. nisu says:

if my garlic over-bake or over-dehydrate what should i do?

19. Stevie Willett-Shaw says:

I discovered a really wanderful way of “peeling” garlic. Take ’em off the clove, in a dish or bowl put some sorta warm not hot water and soak ’em for a while. At least an hour I’d say. Nip off the pointy end and the little cuties peel off like a dream, zam, zam, bam, like in three moves. I know, it sounds incredible! but it works! Let me know if it works for you.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.