2 ingredient cookies – plus the mix-ins of your choice!

I’ve spent weeks making sure this recipe is fool proof. It was also an amazing excuse to make these at least once a week…. for 5 weeks in a row.

I present you with:

The TWO ingredient cookie

Yes. For real. Two ingredients. (Yes, you can add other things if you want… but you don’t HAVE to!) I made this up after seeing a “healthy breakfast cookie” that wanted me to add eggs, applesauce, baking soda, etc and I said NO!

And also, I hate those “two/three ingredient” recipes where one of the ingredients is a boxed cookie mix. and the other is a can of pie filling. CMON PEOPLE.

Ingredients:

2 large old bananas
1 cup of ¬†oats (quick or regular! if you use regular, we’d suggest chopping them a little so everything holds together better)

Mix those two together. Old bananas are amazing for this, but you can use fresh ones too. I buy a bunch of bananas, let them get old on my counter, and then stick ’em all in the freezer.

Then add in what sounds yummy to you! (or nothing!) We love:
-a handful of chocolate chips
-crushed walnut pieces
-cinnamon
-raisins

Since all bananas are different sizes, the needed measurements can vary. If it seems too runny and the cookies would flatten out too much, add in more oatmeal. And make sure to not add in TOO many mix-ins as the cookies won’t hold together very well. The ones in these photos have a handful of chocolate chips, a teaspoon or two or cinnamon, and 1/4ish a cup of crushed walnuts.

We made 16 cookies with those measurements. We cook them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes on a GREASED cookie sheet. Don’t forget the greased part…. I did once and had to scrub my pan forever.

pre-mixing.

post-mixing. You can still see the chunks of ‘nanas.

pre-cooking.

post-cooking. check out those walnut chunks!

These cookies taste most amazing right out of the oven. But still great later. I wouldn’t even know if they taste great 2 days later because they’ve never lasted that long.

Sometimes we’ll make 16 “cookies”. And we’ll eat them all for lunch. I know what you’re thinking… WOW lauren you’re gonna be 500 pounds if you keep eating 8 cookies. But think about what went in these cookies! If I ate 8 cookies, I’ve had: 1 banana, 1/2 cup of oats, and half a handful of chocolate chips and walnuts. Amazing. Leave out the chocolate chips and they are all health.

Why this recipe is awesome? I’m terrible at eating regular oatmeal. But I’m EXCELLENT at eating cookies!

I hope you like these. We love them. Tell us what random “mix-ins” you’d add!!

Follow us for instagram for updates! instagram.com/theburlapbag

(p.s. check out our “autumn” 2 ingredient cookie!)

(p.p.s. and now check out our summer 2 ingredient cookie!)

2018-12-01T12:12:17+00:00

1. chef aicha August 27, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Thank you for your efforts I’ll try this recipe

2. Claire'scomfycorner August 31, 2015 at 11:28 am

You have inspired me. I’ve blogged about baking soft and chewy banana oatmeal bites :) Great recipe, thanks for sharing xx

3. Jodi September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I didn’t have enough oatmeal so i ground steal cut oats into flour in blender and used that in addition. I also added cinnamon, walnuts, vanilla extract, and dates. My husband and I enjoyed them very much!

4. Step September 15, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Theses look so good!!! I made them the other day and the kids just loved them. Thanks so much from a fellow food blogger Healthyager

5. wendy September 16, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Thank you for this! I added a few tablespoons of flax meal and chia seeds so not too soft and topped with 1/2 pecan. Amazing! :D

6. Elena September 24, 2015 at 3:38 am

Are the cookies supposed to be crunchy? I have cooked them but I am not so sure if I’m doing it right

7. elena September 26, 2015 at 2:20 pm

i added cinnamon, vanilla extract, chia seeds, chocolate chips. yummy yummy:))))

8. Ann Schweigart September 26, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Parchment paper, no added oil = no sticking.
    Added vanilla extract, semisweet dark chocolate chips and chopped cashews.
    To this mixture, for half the batch, added cocoa powder and instant coffee powder.
    Before baking, rolled some in unsweetened, shredded coconut, others in sesame seeds, and most left plain.
    Baked them for an extra 20 minutes… still moist, chewy, but crisp (not burnt) on the outside.
    Trying to decide which are our favorites!

9. Teresa October 2, 2015 at 11:45 am

Hey just made these with sultanas added. Wasn’t sure of the consistency of the mix – they’re not bad but not sure I they should be crisp inside?

10. ZELJKA ANN KLINDZIC October 22, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Hi I’ve read most of these posts and am excited but I wonder if anyone has tried using a cup of almond meal instead of the oats. I think this would be a great gluten free option if it works?
    pLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THEY TURNED OUT IF YOU HAVE TRIED IT. THANKS

11. 3274K October 24, 2015 at 11:14 pm

I just made these cookies and they were really tasty! I put 1 cup whole grain oats (75% powdered) 1 banana (only had 1) and some cinnamon and honey. I baked them for around 25 mins and the only problem was they became super hard and chewy :( I’m not sure whether that was because of the missing banana or the 25 mins baking time. They were so yumm though that I’d definitely like to try them again.

12. Dana November 29, 2015 at 7:25 pm

I love these cookies super easy to make. How to you store them? In the fridge or just out on the counter?

13. Ninni December 12, 2015 at 4:47 am

Gonna make these tonight for our knitting group’s Christmas party. I needed to find a vegan cookie recipe without any fancy ingredients and this is it! I think I’m gonna add some nuts and dark chocolate chips. I’ll be back later to report how my knitting pals liked these :)

14. Ninni December 14, 2015 at 3:59 am

I liked them but I feel like others were unsure what these were and didn’t taste them (or everyone was too busy knitting)

15. nono2738 January 5, 2016 at 11:19 pm

I NEED to make these ASAP!!!

Subscribe for news, discount codes on our silly candles and other fascinating info.