use a squeegee to gather fuzz & fur & hair

July 31, 2012 by Lauren

Use a squeegee to gather fuzz and fur and hair off your carpet!!

Yes, I know. Lauren, just use a vacuum. But if you’ve ever been like me and had:

-Not the most expensive vacuum cleaner
-TONS of carpet fuzz from new (and terrible) carpet (yay for renting)
-long hair that gets everywhere AND clogs up the cheap vacuum cleaner
-2 cats

then you’ll know that vacuum cleaners don’t always work like they should. Long hair clogs them up. PLUS they are heavy to lift up and down stairs. Plus they are noisy. And smell weird sometimes. And expensive for a nice one that will actually do a great job of vacuuming!

The squeegee costs $5. (unless you already had one for cleaning windows or something. and there’s some online too!)

And it is amazing at gathering all that stuff. I’m not even gonna show you the huge bag of hair/fuzz/furr we gathered because it’s just plain NASTY how much there was. Plus it isn’t noisy, or a pain to take up and down stairs, or smelly. (and no electricity needed… & an arm workout for you!) The carpet actually even LOOKS like it’s been vacuumed – you know, that just-vacuumed-and-if-you-step-you-can-see-your-footprint-look. Amazing cleaning hack / life hack.

If nothing else, just “vacuum” your carpeted stairs with this. You’ll thank me later. You’ll still probably want to vacuum every now and then to get those smaller dirt things and whatnot. But this is amazing for a quick clean right before guests come over… like this amazing picture that describes my life:

Bahaha. So don’t doubt that squeegee-ing your carpet will work! It’s amazing. And Josiah can testify to you that it’s great! Give it to your kids. They’ll have fun. Or your husband. Maybe mine’s just easily amused….

1. Duckie says:

My only question is: How long did it take for you to do one room?

About five minutes to do our largest room – but you could just do it on your problem areas and be done a lot faster!

3. Tami says:

Sooo … do I spray the carpet with Windex before I use the squeegee on it? :)

4. Erin Haddock says:

Lauren!!! I miss you and our walks!

I have two cats that shed CONSTANTLY and this sounds amazing. Thanks for the tip!

Windex…. ha! :) (I’m getting flashbacks of My Big Fat Greek Wedding!)

Erin, I miss you too! Come visit Austin sometime :) the squeegee will be perfect for your two cats! Just don’t actually squeegee your cats. Haha

7. Rachel says:

I’ve never seen this idea before, what a great tip. Pinned it for later!

8. Bogart says:

What an awesome idea!

No matter the style/make/cost of a vacuum I seem to unwittingly destroy them! So many of times until we got a new vacuum I would end up sweeping the carpets . . . surprisingly a lot of dirt would come up! And there were even times when the carpet looked BETTER then when I vacuumed them! So sometimes . . . not all the time . . . I sweep the carpet before I vacuum! Makes a huge difference! And now I can squeege them too! . . hhmmm, you know I think I am seeing an “excerise” routine beginning to blend with the chores! Awesome!

Great tip! Thanks!

Bogart glad you liked the tip! I’m glad we’re not the only ones who end up ruining our vacuums… ha! :) This is a great tip. And arm workout!

10. Shayne says:

LOVE this idea !

11. Clara says:

Just tried it on my wool 9×12 rug this works great and so much fuzz. Thank You.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.