DIY ground cinnamon

November 1, 2012 by Lauren

make your own??!

Thus… the tutorial…. DIY ground cinnamon

It’s the easiest thing ever. Seriously. Just put cinnamon sticks on your coffee grinder for one-ish minute… and you’ll get a lovely powder of cinnamon. Do it longer if you want even tinier particles!

Why not just buy pre-ground cinnamon? You can. We’re just going back to the basics with cinnamon bark and grinding it up.  And it’s just kinda awesome to make it yourself. And really really cheap. We bought a bajillion cinnamon sticks for less than $2. Plus, there’s no added preservatives in homemade ground cinnamon. A lot of those containers add some preservatives to prevent from caking/clumping… yuck. If this clumps, just stick it back in the coffee grinder.

We realized we use our coffee grinder for so many other uses – diy powdered sugar, diy garlic powder, homemade onion flakes…… it’s the “poor-man’s food processor” since we don’t have one, or the “modern mortar-and-pestle”, since we don’t have one of those either. Ha!

Ok go make your own ground cinnamon! And then go make some french toast, or pumpkin pie, or oatmeal, or cinnamon rolls, or do the cinnamon challenge if you’re a crazy person.

1. Kaely says:

I want to say – this is great! I do love grinding my own things (like oat flour, almond flour, and coffee) now I need to own my own grinder!!! I currently use a babyfood maker that I’m borrowing but have to return soon…time to make the splurge!

2. This is great! Thanks =) I recently realized mid-recipe that I was out of ground cinnamon, but had some sticks. I tried using a small grater (that’s all I had & my only option) and it took FOREVER to grate the 1 teaspoons I needed. I had no idea the sticks were so hard! I’d worry about it breaking my grinder, but it looks like you had no trouble.

3. Sean says:

I always ground my own Cinnamon now! Thanks Lauren!

4. Sean says:

* Grind

5. Maggie says:

I have a recipe for Apple Cinnamon water that calls for a whole stick to be soaked with an apple in water…didn’t get much flavor of cinnamon. Thanks for the tip.

6. MamaSuds says:

I’m actually going to go buy a coffee grinder now. Maxwell House original roast is pre-ground, and cheaper than buying beans (and tastes terrific) so I never had need for a coffee grinder. My blender is applying for a pension, in fact, I’m sure it hires out leprechauns to chip ice. I sure don’t have the cash or the room for a huge gadget like a food processor. If I could afford one of those these days, I could probably afford to have Gordon Ramsey come over to whip up my ground cinnamon with a mortar and pestle and I could watch his behind shake as he does it, while I sit back enjoying a cup of Maxwell House. That would be ideal … but for now, I’ll ask my husband to forgive my Ramsey thoughts (yet again) and find me a good coffee grinder.
    Thanks for the tips and your humor too!
    I’ve added your site to my favorites … that is something!
    Gordon Ramsey’s website isn’t on my favorites!

7. jam says:

those of you how don’t have a grinder already its kinda of price but will worth the money buy a health master its the best kitchen appliance i have bought.

8. Guiseppe says:

I use my Majic Bullet grinder for grinding cinnamon sticks. Also use it to grind Flax seeds.

9. Mo says:

I use my Vitamix! It’s the best appliance I own! I have the dry container that I use for all my grinding. I used to buy lots of jars of spices, now I reuse the jars with my own grinds. I make all sorts of flours, spices, onion powder, garlic powder even tomato powder! I love my Vitamix!

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.