Homemade breath mints

November 29, 2012 by Lauren

finally coming your way this Thursday… and here I am, at 9:44pm writing it. I’m a true procrastinator. Sue me. It’ll probably take me longer to write this post than it even took to do the whole tutorial! My reward when I’m done writing this = animal crackers. Buckle up:

Homemade breath mints. Josiah and I have been using these for 2 weeks now and we LOVE them!

Ingredients:

-1 cup powdered gum paste mix
-1 teaspoon-ish water
-some pepperment extract/flavor (don’t you love my exact measurements? add it until you like the taste.)
-powdered xylitol – – – or powdered sugar.

(small blurb on xylitol – thanks to our friend nick for introducing it to us! you can find it at any health food store… whole foods, wheatsville if you’re here in town. it’s a sugar alcohol and supposedly safer for diabetics! it’s “tooth friendly” and in a lot of gums and toothpastes and mouthwashes – as it’s good for oral health. it actually REDUCES plaque on your teeth. It almost has a “cold” taste by itself. yes, a sugar that’s GOOD! yay. google it for more info, i’m just a crazy person blogging, not a doctor) If you don’t wanna get xylitol, just use powdered sugar. It won’t have the health benefits but it will work as a powdered-non-sticky-substance-thing.

ok. back to the diy breath mints.

Step 1: pour 1 tablespoon of water into 1 cup of powdered gum paste and mix it up. (word to the wise, please do this in a bowl and do not attempt to mix it on a piece of wax paper like the dumb-bums that Josiah and I are….. it was such a mess.)

Step 2: Mix it/knead it until it’s all one solid mass of “dough”. If it’s too dry, add a little water. Too wet, add more gum paste mix. Common sense here, people.

Step 3: Add in some peppermint extract! Add a teaspoon and see how you like the taste. Not strong enough for your taste? Add another teaspoon. And another. And another. Maybe you’re hoping for curiously strong… just go ahead and be crazy and add the whole bottle. (just kidding, that might be crazy. but now i’m curious…)

Step 4:  Flatten it like a pancake on a surface of powdered xylitol/powdered sugar on wax paper. You could use a rolling pin but those things are my worst enemy! I always get everything all stuck to the roller. So I just flattened it with my hands. Make it the thickness of a normal breath mint…. maybe 1/4 of an inch?

Step 5: Here’s the fun part! Cut out your little breath mints. You could literally just cut them into squares. Or use a big bubble tea straw as a cookie cutter and get PERFECT sized breath mints. Pull up the left over dough and roll it out again and keep going until all your dough is done. (or until Josiah just grabs the end of the dough because he’s sick of rolling it out and just shoves it in his mouth…)

Step 6: Lightly toss them in the leftover xylitol/powdered sugar that’s on your wax paper. This helps them not stick together.

Step 7: Let them dry out for a couple of hours. They are pretty much ready to eat – but if you want them to get a bit harder, just leave them out. Then ENJOY ENJOY!

What’s awesome about this recipe:

-You can add different extracts for different flavors! Add cinnamon instead of peppermint. Strawberry. Lemon/lime for a sour (ew, personally).
-These are actually GOOD for your teeth!
-They are easy to make. I know this tutorial was a little lengthy for “The Burlap Bag standards”, but it’s worth it.  I bet it would be fun with kids too!
-Add in food coloring if you’re so inclined!

I’m working on figuring out a recipe that DOESN’T include gum paste…. But who knows when that’ll come alive. I’ll keep you updated. For now, I’m off for some animal crackers. And then maybe a breath mint.

Go freshen that breath. You stink a little. Yeah you.

1. Hannah says:

Project of the day for me! I’ve started reading about the oral health benefits of xylitol. Being an Amazon junky, I’ve even seen the xylitol mints or gum that are ideally meant to be used after eating throughout the day. I’m hoping to find this is a cheaper alternative (as I haven’t brought myself to spend the money they’re asking for on mint/ or gum). I’m off to the store for supplies. Thanks!

2. ~amy~ says:

These look FABulous!

3. Paul says:

Awesome! I will get my kids to make these with me. Like the idea of Christmas breath mints over Christmas cookies.

4. Hi- I love, love, love your site! I’m so glad I found it. Breath mints, air freshener, 2-ingredient cookies- awesome!

5. Thank you for sharing, my son would love these!!!! And awesome info on the xylitol too!

love + luck + bliss,
    missysue

Glad everyone is so excited about these! They are so awesome. Tell me how they go for you… and shoot me any other questions you have about the process!

7. Cassie says:

This looks so fun and easy! Do these turn into hard mints like Altoids?

Cassie – I think if you leave them out a long time, yes! (you could always even bake them at a very low temp to make them harder). Mine are a little more like those “soft mints”

9. Her says:

Such a cute idea!

10. Her says:

Liked on Facebook (:

11. Camille says:

Also liked you on fb

12. venturesome says:

… interesting…

13. Kat says:

POWDERED zylitol! Ooops! And 2 tsps of extract was yummy!

Oops Kat – did you just use it regularly? It might not be too different…
    We made our xylitol powdered by putting it in the coffee grinder :)

15. Breann says:

Used a whole thing of gum paste and made tons of these once! I advise to experiment with flavors – like VanillaMint. Delicious! Also, they get nice and hard like Altoids if you leave them out for about a week.

16. Mint Lover says:

I loved this idea so much I clicked on “shop online” to buy them…. but I suppose the reason I didn’t find the “Homemade Breath Mints” might have something to do with the keyword “HOMEMADE” and the fact that the recipe and instructions are detailed right above..

As a last resort to try out these seemingly fascinating mints I will be posting a link to my girlfriend’s facebook wall.. I don’t think she could resist making them and I hope she shares!

:-P

17. Michelle Patterson says:

Thanks for sharing! So excited to try this recipe out.
    #oils4everyone

18. Rose Hill says:

Just so everyone is aware – Xylitol is deadly to dogs especially but possibly other animals also. Please be careful with it and the foods you make with it.

19. tamara says:

I have been thinking about making my own mints especially since I don’t like gum and your site was the first one listed on Google. Can’t wait to make these!

20. I’m so glad I found this recipe! I was just casually looking online to see if I could find a recipe for my mint addiction…and here it is! Just a note: when I went to Amazon to look up the xylitol powder, the brand you are using was noted by an Amazon reviewer to be made with a corn base (most of it from China). Apparently, there is a brand that uses birch trees (plus, no GMO, etc.) and that is the Xyla brand. I was able to find it on Amazon, though one could find elsewhere, I’m sure. I love wintergreen mints and I also found, on Amazon, wintergreen flavoring. Thanks again!

21. Angela says:

What is the gum paste powder made of? I can’t seem to find ingredients anywhere. If it’s made with sugar like regular gum paste than I don’t see how these can be good for your teeth. :(

22. Martin says:

Can you make them without a straw like just rolling out little balls?

23. katie says:

I want to make matcha green tea breath mints. Do you think I can just add some matcha green tea powder to the gum paste?

24. bingham37 says:

I knew there was something my mom’s old egg-slicer would be useful for. :D I can’t see using a straw but I’d roll into a snake and feed through that. Have you tried it with just plain powdered sugar w lots of peppermint and maybe heated it in a microwave to activate the cornstarch? Just a thought… if I do it I’ll let you know how it goes.

25. bingham37 says:

Found a good-lookin recipe for vegan gum paste (the first one I found had egg whites) – http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/04/vegan-sugar-paste-recipe/.

26. Lilly says:

I want to make these for my wedding. Do you know how many months in advance I can make this?

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.