DIY smelly markers

January 17, 2013 by Lauren

DIY smelly markers - The Burlap Bag

It’s super super easy. Well, if you have the right kind of markers. More on that later:

Grab some markers. Some say they need to NOT be waterproof markers, but I have no idea if our markers were waterproof or not. So, test that out yourself and someone let me know, kthanks.

And grab some essential oil (or fragrance oil or some scenty oil thing). We used this:

IMG_3278

(but it would be awesome to have a bunch of different scents for different colors! Vanilla for brown, lemon for yellow, orange for orange duh, spearmint for green, etc.

Here’s the tricky part: Take the small end cap off of the marker. Some come off really easily – ours had to be pried off with pliers. Hopefully you have some easy ones or some strong hands. Take out that weird beef jerky looking tube – that’s what we need!

IMG_3276

Now that you have the ink tube, you will put 10ish drops of scenty oil into it. We did it on the side that will almost directly touch the tip of the marker so that it smells harder/better/faster/stronger. (experiment and see how many drops is perfect for your nose!)

IMG_3281

And then let it sit for awhile to let the scent get all in everything’s business. Maybe a couple of hours/overnight?

And then you’ll have some lovely homemade smelly markers! And YOU got to pick the scents!

ok, just for funsies and nostalgic purposes:

MR SKETCH SCENTED MARKERS!!!!!!

Everyone knows that the light blue (mango) and light pink (melon) ones are the best. And that black is the worst (licorice! yuck!)

1. Catherine says:

I just bought a set of Mr. Sketch and niether my coworkers nor students have never heard of them. The poor, sheltered souls! I am so glad I was able to introduce them to the awesomeness of Mr. Sketch! And now we can make our own in class… And at home. I love smelly markers!!!

2. Catherine says:

I just bought a set of Mr. Sketch and niether my coworkers nor students had ever heard of them. The poor, sheltered souls! I am so glad I was able to introduce them to the awesomeness of Mr. Sketch! And now we can make our own in class… And at home. I love smelly markers!!!

3. Elizabeth says:

I had thought I was done with my blog, but I just found that I had something of a following–and a lot of referals from your blog. I’m not quiet sure how it happened, but here is a thank you:

4. Ben says:

I totally like the black ones… :P

5. Katrina says:

Yes, but WHY are the light blue ones MANGO?!?

Ben – everyone knows you’re a freak if you like the licorice ones! :)

Katrina – Haha that is such a good question. But it smells sooooo goooood

7. Vivek says:

Wow! these sure remind me of the old days!

8. Whitney says:

This is officially the best thing on your blog! I work with special needs kiddos and they will LOVE this!! Thanks so much :)

9. studyathomemama says:

I just bought smelly markers last week! I’m sharing this so others know that there’s options :)

PS– I had no idea what Mr Sketch was until yesterday, my friend told me that I wasn’t cool buying Crayola, that its Mr Sketch only when it comes to scented… now I know.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.