basic raw oats recipe

February 1, 2013 by Lauren

Josiah and I have been eating raw oats for breakfast for 3 weeks now... and love eating them every morning! They have the same "softness" as when you cook oats on the stove (or in the microwave, you sicko you), but these aren't cooked - just soaked overnight.

Every recipe I've seen had like a bajillion ingredients, and I like things SUPER basic.... and then you can add in whatever YOU like!

Reasons I love raw oats:

-Eating oats raw is healthier since you're not cooking out more of the good stuffz.
-The cold is actually refreshing to eat! (especially in Texas where it's 83 degrees in January....)
-No pan to clean every morning
-No waiting for the oats to cook (even if it does just take 5 minutes to cook. I'm hungry in the morning... and in a little bit of a daze!)

raw oats - the burlap bag

Now before you get yourself in a tizzy about how the oats aren’t actually raw because the manufacturer usually slightly heats them before they go to the grocery store…. calm it down. By “raw” oats, we just mean that we aren’t heating/cooking them at all.

The recipe is SO easy! Just tweak it to your own palate.

Basic Raw Oats Recipe

—Soak overnight: equal parts LIQUID and OATS. Put them in the fridge if there’s dairy or something that says to keep cold once opened, like soy milk.

Liquid options: Milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, water, apple juice, and many more I’m sure!

Oat options: Old-fashioned oats, quick oats, and steel cut oats. (although steel cut oats are a little chewy. Maybe if you soak them 24 hours instead of 12 hours they’d get softer)

Mix-in options: ENDLESS! honey, cinnamon, & pecans are some of our favorites. You could add ground flax seed, chia seeds, bananas, peaches, raisins, spices, brown sugar, coconut… and more and more.
We add in our mix-ins the night before – we’ve been adding honey and it soaks into the oats and tastes amazing.

If you find that in the morning, it’s too “not wet” enough, you can add in more liquid right then!
We put 1/4 cup of regular oats & 1/4 cup of some milkish thing in a mason jar and it’s perfect for us.

And that’s it! Tell us what mix-ins you think would be awesome! (or liquid! I want to try apple juice….sounds intriguing)

1. Amber says:

Thanks for this tip! Do you leave them out on the counter over night or in the fridge?

Amber – ah, I can’t believe I forgot to mention that! You’re awesome.
    We put them in the fridge but we are always using hemp milk or some other milk that says “keep refrigerated after opening”…. if you’re just using water I guess you wouldn’t have to!

3. joni says:

Never thought of this….brilliant! thanks.

4. Kelly says:

I love how simple this is! I’m going into the kitchen right now to get some ready. :) Just pinned it too!

5. JPeaslee says:

Trying this tonight with agave and cinnamon…I’ll report back tomorrow!

6. elaine says:

When I stay with my cousin Elsie in Germany this is what we have very morning. Here is what she does: she uses a combination of oats, rye, wheat, and other grains. She soaks them with warm water overnight. Here is the treat! In the morning she puts out a big tray she keeps that is full of the following: pumpkin seeds, candied ginger, sunflower seeds, dried apricots and peaches, raisins, dates, maple sugar (a little like brown sugar) and a big carton of yogurt. Then everyone puts their own toppings on. It is the best thing ever – especially the candied ginger!!

7. JPeaslee says:

Okay, they were delicious! I made mine with water, cinnamon, and about a tablespoon of agave. I think I might actually do less agave next time; it soaked into the oats so well that I didn’t really need a full serving. Anyway, it was great to wake up in the morning and already have breakfast made. :D

Jen – so glad you liked them! I love the simplicity of it and that it’s all ready in the morning.

Elaine – Oooh, I love all of those options! Great ideas.

9. gayle says:

For the steel cut oats, use a tablespoon of Bragg’s apple cider vinegar and enough hot water to cover. Mix well, cover loosely with wax paper and leave on counter. In the morning, pour off water, replace it with a small amount of whatever liquid you would like, the usual spices or fruit, and zap in the micro for about 30 seconds. If you put in the nuts when soaking the oats, they are then ‘sprouted’, which makes their yummy goodness better able to be used by your body. Add the yogurt after zapping. I love this with a tablespoon of chocolate chips, almonds and a touch of maraschino cherry juice. Peanut or almond butter is terrific for when you need an extra bit of protein.

10. Natalie says:

I soaked my steel cut oats for 24 hours and they were still way too…raw. And hard to chew. I love this idea though. I’m going to try it with regular oats. And maybe the way the above commenter described with my steel cut oats? That’s an interesting formula.

11. Staff Writer says:

This is a super idea for campers and preppers, we usually have raw oats in our food storage. I personally use 2 tbs of honey and 1 tsp of cinnamon to flavor mine.

12. Gia says:

I add vanilla protein powder, and let it soak too and frozen berries. Sometimes I do zap in microwave the next morning tho.

13. Barbara says:

I prefer to put steel cut oats in my slow cooker and let it go all night on a low setting. It’s perfection in the morning. I’m now doing a lot dehydrating of all my raw foods, so any raw dehydrated fruit could also go into the pot and become nice and soft and also sweeten the oats.

14. Mel says:

I’m so glad to see this is a normal thing! I thought I was a weirdo for making oats like this. Usually I add some chopped apples or bananas to the oatmeal and milk the night before- the juices gradually seep into the oatmeal, and they seem to thicken the mixture as well.

15. Casey says:

6 Grain “Hot” Cereal (link below) from Sprouts (a grocery chain in the West) is excellent without soaking. It’s got nice texture and a very mild nutty sweetness of which I can’t get enough. I just wake up, try to shake the sleep out of my head, pour some in a bowl with some rice milk and – yum – I think I’ll have some for desert right now! I’m also going to use it with your awesome two ingredient cookie recipe.

16. Eva says:

Are u suppose to put this in a closed container in fridge?
    Sounds good and can’t wait to try it!

17. gina says:

You must check out Yummy life’s refrigerator oatmeal – her recipes are to die for!

18. Carol says:

I’m going to try this tonight. It sounds really intriguing. When I make oatmeal I always need to let it cool a ridiculously long time, so this might be just right!

19. Erica says:

Fresh raspberries and mini chocolate chips are my most favorite things in oatmeal. My 5-yr-old nephew likes it this way too, so much that he requested oatmeal for his birthday breakfast. I need to tell my sis about this to save her some time in the a.m. cooking for all three boys!

20. Erica says:

I pinned the givaway to my “Want” board on pinterest (ericajane33). I follow Lauren on pinterest as well.

21. diana v. says:

I am in LOVE with this…I make it the night before work & “instant” breakfast or lunch for me. It’s so rich & creamy this way. I use a little honey and add cinnamon & raisins. yum

22. Crystal says:

yum! this looks delish!

23. cheryl lynne says:

i’m kind of obsessed with this. . ..i’m a hemp milk/ cinnamon/ teensy bit ‘o honey girl. this is my go-to breakfast now.
    Thanks!!!

24. Amanda Budai says:

This is amazing! I eat oatmeal every day at work, cooked in the microwave. This is so much more delicious! And the raisins plumped up like they do when you cook it on the stove. Thanks for this great idea!

25. Jen says:

I have been enjoying raw oats for breakfast for years. I have a large container of raw large-flake oats, premixed with raisins and almonds. In the morning I just pour about half a cup in a bowl and add just enough water to cover it and I basically just eat it right away. I much prefer it to the texture of cooked oatmeal. It’s super-fast, nutritious, and delicious.

26. Debra Ann says:

2 Tablespoons of my regular peanut butter has 15 grams fat (with 2.5 g saturated fat), 180 calores and 140 mg sodium. If I add PB2, which is a low fat peanut butter powder, the fat is negligible, the calories are less than 55 and the sodium is cut in half. :)

27. Debra Ann says:

2 Tablespoons of my regular peanut butter has 15 grams fat (with 2.5 g saturated fat), 180 calories and 140 mg sodium. If I add PB2, which is a low fat peanut butter powder, the fat is negligible, the calories are less than 55 and the sodium is cut in half. :)

28. alysshelves says:

I’ve been doing mine in a huge jar (family of 9!) & adding some of my homemade Kombucha to it.