basic raw oats recipe

Josiah and I have been eating raw oats for breakfast for 3 weeks now… and love eating them every morning! They have the same “softness” as when you cook oats on the stove (or in the microwave, you sicko you), but these aren’t cooked – just soaked overnight.

Every recipe I’ve seen had like a bajillion ingredients, and I like things SUPER basic…. and then you can add in whatever YOU like!

Reasons I love raw oats:

-Eating oats raw is healthier since you’re not cooking out more of the good stuffz.
-The cold is actually refreshing to eat! (especially in Texas where it’s 83 degrees in January….)
-No pan to clean every morning
-No waiting for the oats to cook (even if it does just take 5 minutes to cook. I’m hungry in the morning… and in a little bit of a daze!)

raw oats - the burlap bag

Now before you get yourself in a tizzy about how the oats aren’t actually raw because the manufacturer usually slightly heats them before they go to the grocery store…. calm it down. By “raw” oats, we just mean that we aren’t heating/cooking them at all.

The recipe is SO easy! Just tweak it to your own palate.

Basic Raw Oats Recipe

—Soak overnight: equal parts LIQUID and OATS. Put them in the fridge if there’s dairy or something that says to keep cold once opened, like soy milk.

Liquid options: Milk, almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, hemp milk, water, apple juice, and many more I’m sure!

Oat options: Old-fashioned oats, quick oats, and steel cut oats. (although steel cut oats are a little chewy. Maybe if you soak them 24 hours instead of 12 hours they’d get softer)

Mix-in options: ENDLESS! honey, cinnamon, & pecans are some of our favorites. You could add ground flax seed, chia seeds, bananas, peaches, raisins, spices, brown sugar, coconut… and more and more.
We add in our mix-ins the night before – we’ve been adding honey and it soaks into the oats and tastes amazing.

If you find that in the morning, it’s “not wet” enough, you can add in more liquid right then!
We put 1/4 cup of regular oats & 1/4 cup of some milkish thing in a mason jar and it’s perfect for us.

And that’s it! Tell us what mix-ins you think would be awesome! (or liquid! I want to try apple juice….sounds intriguing)

2018-06-21T12:41:29+00:00

1. Casey February 22, 2013 at 10:58 pm
  2. Eva March 12, 2013 at 8:56 am

Are u suppose to put this in a closed container in fridge?
    Sounds good and can’t wait to try it!

3. gina March 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

You must check out Yummy life’s refrigerator oatmeal – her recipes are to die for!

4. Carol March 20, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I’m going to try this tonight. It sounds really intriguing. When I make oatmeal I always need to let it cool a ridiculously long time, so this might be just right!

5. Erica March 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Fresh raspberries and mini chocolate chips are my most favorite things in oatmeal. My 5-yr-old nephew likes it this way too, so much that he requested oatmeal for his birthday breakfast. I need to tell my sis about this to save her some time in the a.m. cooking for all three boys!

6. Erica March 26, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I pinned the givaway to my “Want” board on pinterest (ericajane33). I follow Lauren on pinterest as well.

7. diana v. April 6, 2013 at 10:36 am

I am in LOVE with this…I make it the night before work & “instant” breakfast or lunch for me. It’s so rich & creamy this way. I use a little honey and add cinnamon & raisins. yum

8. Crystal May 15, 2013 at 7:47 pm

yum! this looks delish!

9. cheryl lynne June 20, 2013 at 2:06 pm

i’m kind of obsessed with this. . ..i’m a hemp milk/ cinnamon/ teensy bit ‘o honey girl. this is my go-to breakfast now.
    Thanks!!!

10. Amanda Budai September 11, 2013 at 6:59 am

This is amazing! I eat oatmeal every day at work, cooked in the microwave. This is so much more delicious! And the raisins plumped up like they do when you cook it on the stove. Thanks for this great idea!

11. Jen October 26, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I have been enjoying raw oats for breakfast for years. I have a large container of raw large-flake oats, premixed with raisins and almonds. In the morning I just pour about half a cup in a bowl and add just enough water to cover it and I basically just eat it right away. I much prefer it to the texture of cooked oatmeal. It’s super-fast, nutritious, and delicious.

12. Debra Ann December 3, 2013 at 6:40 pm

2 Tablespoons of my regular peanut butter has 15 grams fat (with 2.5 g saturated fat), 180 calores and 140 mg sodium. If I add PB2, which is a low fat peanut butter powder, the fat is negligible, the calories are less than 55 and the sodium is cut in half. :)

13. Debra Ann December 3, 2013 at 6:41 pm

2 Tablespoons of my regular peanut butter has 15 grams fat (with 2.5 g saturated fat), 180 calories and 140 mg sodium. If I add PB2, which is a low fat peanut butter powder, the fat is negligible, the calories are less than 55 and the sodium is cut in half. :)

14. alysshelves March 17, 2014 at 11:03 am

I’ve been doing mine in a huge jar (family of 9!) & adding some of my homemade Kombucha to it.