how to keep your shower curtain liner clean

Every few months, places in my shower/bath tub start to look kinda yellow/orange and gunky. It’s not pleasant.

I’ve heard whisperings about 2 simple ways to fix that yucky soap buildup and watery mildew that’s on the shower curtain liner – and so I did both to my shower curtain liner this morning!

how to keep your shower curtain liner clean- The Burlap Bag

quick fix #1 to an always clean shower curtain liner:

Trim off the bottom couple of inches. If the liner is too long, then it will bunch together in your tub and contain all that moisture and soap. You want it to be light and airy.

quick fix #2 to an always clean shower curtain liner:

Trim it in a zig-zag (the easiest way to do this is with pinking shears! Literally took 10 seconds.) Supposedly the water will drip off of the uneven edge more quickly – thus making your shower curtain dry faster – and no more yucky grime stuff.

how to keep your shower curtain liner clean- The Burlap Bag(sorry for the terrible photo of the zigzag cut – I sadly do not have a bathroom with amazing lighting. cry cry)

or quick fix #3 – have a kitty watch you the whole time wondering what you’re doing. kitties fix everything!

how to keep your shower curtain liner clean- The Burlap Bag

If you’ve already tried one of these, let me know how they work for you! I’m hoping for an easy, clean bathroom!

2018-06-21T12:00:29+00:00

1. Andi September 30, 2013 at 11:32 am

The cat is adorable! My cat always wants to help, too.
    Definitely trying this out! I live on the humid east coast, so mold is always a problem.
    Thanks for the tips!

2. Lauren September 30, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Andi – I hope it helps! Plus I’m sure your cat will help plenty :) (emotionally at least!)

3. Mahdi M October 3, 2013 at 6:45 pm

It works just swell to wash a curtain liner in the washing machine! You can tumble dry it for a little bit or just shake it out. Works like a charm. I like to add vinegar to the wash with some laundry soap.

4. Patricia Singer October 4, 2013 at 10:40 am

The zig zag thing is interesting. I’m going to try that!

5. Sarah October 4, 2013 at 11:33 am

What a great tip! Looks cute as well.

6. KC October 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I agree that kitty fixes everything! Thanks for the tips!

7. Lindsey October 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm

I’m most certainly trying this!! (Plus you’re cat is cute)!!

8. Lauren October 13, 2013 at 11:25 am

My cat used to have terrible separation anxiety whenever I took a shower (in his defense, I take really long showers). Now he sits on the ledge and uses the shower liner as a force field to keep himself dry while he watches me shower. His separation anxiety has been resolved, but he’s kind of a weirdo.

9. Lauren October 13, 2013 at 11:26 am

10. Jenna R October 13, 2013 at 11:01 pm

You actually can just throw it in the washer (but not the dryer) to get rid of that yellow gunk on your shower curtain and/or liner!

11. Arienne October 14, 2013 at 11:52 am

You know, I have always lifted the curtain bar up to keep the shower curtain from trailing… but it never occurred to me just to cut it! I usually buy the fabric ones so that I can wash them. Also, my sister, cleaner extraordinaire, reminded me to close/stretch out the shower curtain after my shower… not to leave it bunched up to one side. That way it dries faster.

12. Char October 15, 2013 at 4:24 pm

What a great tip! I needed this. Thanks a bunch!

13. Silvia Beltran October 22, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I usually just wash it in the washing machine, but I am definitely going to try the pinking shears trick!

14. Noreen Smith October 23, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I buy cheap-o (under $5) shower curtain liners from the dollar store so that when they are starting to look shabby they go right into the trash! Maybe with these two tips I can make them last even longer though.

15. Cori November 19, 2013 at 12:46 am

Quick way to clean a plastic-y curtain liner is a wipe with a magic eraser. I have fallen in love with them for ease of use, and lack of fumes to aggravate asthma.