De-Seed a Pomegranate in under a minute!

This is another one of those “WHY AM I JUST NOW LEARNING THIS?” things.

We were at our friend Brother Wagen’s house. We brought pomegranates. We went to score them and pick out all the pomegranate seeds for the next 10 minutes. And Brother Wagen stopped us immediately. “What are you guys doing. Stop. Don’t you know the fastest way to do that?!” So he showed us the easiest way to de-seed a pomegranate:

Cut it in half. Bang on it really hard with a spoon. DONE.

And really, that’s it. We cut it in half. We pulled on the sides a little so it “gives”. Then, we banged on the outside part with a metal spoon. All the pomegranate seeds fell into a bowl!

We took a video of it so you can see it in action. Please note that it’s just 57 seconds long!

Yes, there were a couple (10 max) left in the pomegranate shell, but they are so easy to pick out. And doing all this in under a minute TOTALLY beats the normal “score the outside, then cut into 6 pieces. Then carefully pick out all the seeds for 10 hours or until you go CRAZY… whichever comes first”.

Ok let’s review. You’ll need: a pomegranate, knife, spoon, and bowl. Cut it in half. Bang on one side. Eat.

WARNING: It will look like a crime scene.
There’s a sharp knife covered in red, plus red splatters everywhere. The more you do this, you’ll get better at not splattering.

And now go eat and enjoy pomegranates! They are sooo tasty. In fruit salad, banana bread, drinks, etc. What do you guys like to put pomegranate seeds in?

2018-06-23T13:19:55+00:00

1. kelly March 20, 2013 at 2:03 am

Is there an alternative link to watch this video? lt be that the plugin you use no longer functions.

2. Sandra March 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Wish I had seen this when I lived in the middle east. We bought pomegranates for 25 cents a kilo (2.2 lbs) and had them almost every day. Sure took a lot longer than this to empty one. Thanks for another great idea.

3. arry April 4, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I had no problem watching the video (am on a mac) and love this technique! Thanks so much and can’t wait to give this a whack…er…whirl…myself! :)

4. Michele April 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm

I have always done mine in water as Cassie suggested but not by hitting it with the spoon! I cannot wait to try it! I LOVE pomegranate! So, in true Lauren fashion, I am going to run out right now and buy one so I can try it!

5. Michele April 21, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Also, I find people’s issues with your post, quite entertaining! Keep it simple and carry on. Thanks!

6. rachel ward May 15, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Leave them in the bowl – water and they are yummy snacks to grab when you want a treat and little work! These things hold up for a long time!!

7. Laura McGinnis May 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Brilliant! I heard Martha Stewart talking about this trick on Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, and couldn’t believe it. Thanks for the video!!!

8. Carole May 24, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Interesting. I’ll have to try this technique because the last time that we bought a pom we seeded it in a bowl of water. It worked great, but we lost a lot of the juice.

9. SteveDenver April 2, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I grew up in a small town where my teachers — mostly women in the 50s-60s — had shortcuts for everything. Ever consider using a DRILL with the tine-end of a fork to spin apples so you can peel buckets in a flash? Never saw this before. I’m looking forward to giving it a try.